The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brian's one a month challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Sounds like we could be looking at a Royal Coachman shortly.................. Not a particularly easy tie with the herl, the feather wings and the hackle. Check out some of s. fontinalis's posts; you'll find some nice RCs in them.
Yup, I have been looking to make up some royal coachmen since they work so well for me with the bluegills where I fish. The pattern I like most will be using craft fur (or maybe real hair....not 100% sure yet) instead of the feather, though I may tie some with feather wings too just for the challenge.

So far I tied 3 of the Mickey Finn's. And indeed they are nothing to write home about. I had planned on tying a bunch more, but really only once I get to the fly shop and pick up some 4x long streamer hooks. The 2x look OK, but I like the looks of them longer. Besides, I need some for the royal coachmen anyway. The way I figure it I will use the whole month to tie the same pattern so I can best get a grip on it. That is why the plan is at least one pattern a month. I figure a whole month dedicated to one pattern, even if I can make just several to get it down pat, but more if need be. Some patterns I don't expect to take much at all.....there are several chironomid patterns that look neat and simple it is crazy. But there are also a bunch of more complex patterns that could take me well into a couple/few dozen to get right. As it is I am not looking forward to dry flies and all the "fun" working with hackles should provide.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Very cool thread here! Good idea Brian.
brian miville likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

brian,

i hope this doesnt sound too critical but after seeing the photo of the fly you tied (i couldnt see it on my work computer since our security department blocks some photos) i think you should have used a rib of oval tinsel. its whats called for in the published recipes for this fly. i would also eliminate the red tag at the bend.

practice that tinsel work on the body and try to eliminate the gaps

i know that tyers always deviate from the published recipes of fly patterns but following recipes is a good way to learn about patterns.

overall its a decent tied fly

just giving you advice

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
brian,

i hope this doesnt sound too critical but after seeing the photo of the fly you tied (i couldnt see it on my work computer since our security department blocks some photos) i think you should have used a rib of oval tinsel. its whats called for in the published recipes for this fly. i would also eliminate the red tag at the bend.

practice that tinsel work on the body and try to eliminate the gaps

i know that tyers always deviate from the published recipes of fly patterns but following recipes is a good way to learn about patterns.

overall its a decent tied fly
No problem, I can take criticism well.

The main pattern I used for this came from here:

How to tie: Mickey Finn , Fly Pattern, Streamers, Tying Instruction, Recipe, Fly Fishing

I used this one because I kinda liked the red tag on the end, but I can see how in the grand scheme it does not seem to add a whole lot to the pattern. Also, I did not have any oval rib on hand, so this one was a bonus. I actually had a bit of pattern overload when I googled it as it gave me endless pages to choose from. But since I need to hit the fly shop for hooks and other odds and ends then I can grab some oval wire while I am there.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

One other thing.....maybe I am missing something, but the pattern calls for bucktail, which I am using, but the vast majority of images I see show the hair being pretty straight. My hair, as you can see, is all wavy. Am I picking from the wrong parts of the tail (if that is possible) or is it something else? I do stack the hair to get it even, but that does not help the wavy nature of the hair.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Brian, you've come up with a very cool recipe for success as a fly tyer, congratulations.

About that bucktail: try to find small buck or doe tails, they have straighter hair, and are less likely to be semi-hollow and therefore tend to flare on you. The last thing you want for a hairwing streamer is the gigundous "northern white bucktail" that the perveyors of fly tying materials like to sell us. If you can get anywhere near a fly fishing "show", take the opportunity to dig through the tails available there. "less is more" is very true in this case.

Many of us don't use hair stackers for wings like the MF has. Rather, cut away from the skin carefully, remove the underfur, and tie in with the nice natural taper working for you. And regarding taper, to get a nice tapered head, be sure to cut the hair at an angle after you have cinched it down but haven't overwrapped it yet.

Just another 2 cents.
Gary
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Like everything else in life, all bucktail is not created equal.

When you're at the Fly Shop, take the tail out of the package and look at the hairs. Some are nice and straight; others are wavy, like you describe. You can tie with either, but the straighter hairs look better when tyed in on the top of the hook.

If you want the best looking fiies that you can tie, then you need to be selective about the materials that you use. It's always better to see your materials in the flesh before you buy, as opposed to purchasing them online; particularly furs and feathers; not so much for synthetics.

If you think bucktail can vary, wait until you get into hackle............

Pocono
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM

Excellent Gary, thanks for the "tip" on the tail....heh heh, is that a pun?

And thus the reason for my doing this challenge here is paying off. I can only imagine how many years of combined tying experience is reading this right now and offering their advice.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post

If you think bucktail can vary, wait until you get into hackle............

Pocono
Yeah, this is what I fear most about starting on dry flies. On my "to-do" list is a whole bunch of classic dry flies....Blue dun, royal wulff, Hendrickson, Humpy, Adams, mosquito and on and on....but I fear working with hackle. Oh, and the cost of hackle. I fear what buying a bunch of capes is going to cost me!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Brian, if you go to the Jan. 28, 2012 post on my blog, you will find a step-by-step on tying a hairwing streamer that may prove helpful to you.
Gary
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Keep 'em comin' Brian !!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Brian, if you go to the Jan. 28, 2012 post on my blog, you will find a step-by-step on tying a hairwing streamer that may prove helpful to you.
Gary
Checking it out now, thanks!