The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brian's one a month challenge.

OK, so the big snowstorm last weekend put a kink in my plans. The fly shop did not open on Saturday because of 2 feet of snow, and they normally don't open on Sunday to begin with. Thankfully I had time to go on Wed. and pick up the stuff I needed. So here is the latest attempt at the Mickey Finn. I left out the red thread completely, going with the more traditional body. This is the body using just tinsel and silver wire. I also got more disciplined with my head. I noticed on my other flies the head just got away from me and looked big and ugly. I tried to keep the head no more than 2 eye lengths back, and now it looks more well proportioned.

Click the image to open in full size.

I still don't like how wild the bucktail looks, alas not much I can do about it without finding better tails. I do have a question. Would kip tail work better, especially on the smaller flies like this #12 Tiemco 300? Or how about craft fur? I bought some white craft fur for next months fly, and looking at it I think it might make a more neater looking hair wing, but having not actually used it yet I can't make much of an expert opinion.