The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 10:54 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default Tied up some clousers last night

Buck tail variety pack turned out to be a great idea!
Started with some classic chart/white:
Click the image to open in full size.
Then tried some shad looking patterns:
A sort of leach looking pattern:
Good ol' firetiger:
"Brazillian" shiner
Creek chub:
"Rasta Darter"
Can't wait for spring!

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

By the way, thank you Diver Dan for the tip about putting down some head cement before wrapping up the head
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tied up some clousers last night

Good deal, I tied one for when I was in Florida, i ended up calling it the "key West Clouser". its a rainbow in the literal sense of a fly being a rainbow. AJ approved.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks
My main concern is that they may be a little bit long for the hooks I used (Gamakatsu SC15's, size 1, recommended to me at the fly shop). I have read however that bass key in on the head/eye, so it may not even be a problem. I have some TMC 300's in size 6 leftover from some wooly buggers that I'm thinking of trying next, maybe with bead chain eyes. I will resist tying more though until I can test them out against some river smallies
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
By the way, thank you Diver Dan for the tip about putting down some head cement before wrapping up the head
You are welcome! Those Firetiger Clousers are a great fly, glad to see you made some of those also. Actually, Clousers in general are a great fly. Good job on those.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Thanks
My main concern is that they may be a little bit long for the hooks I used (Gamakatsu SC15's, size 1, recommended to me at the fly shop).
I would not worry to much about it. Fish tend to gulp the whole fly when taking minnow type patterns. Try them out and see how they ride in the water. The main problem I have had with hooks and Clousers is to heavy wire for not enough weight in the eyes. There is a point where they stop riding right in the water.

Also, if you fish a spot where you hang up a lot like I do, use a thinner wire hook you can bend out and free. I use #2 Aberdeens and bend the eye down. The down eye helps make them ride right way up, plus the wire is thin enough to pull loose if you hang up in crud on the bottom.

You should see the crud I have dragged up off the bottom by the way. Do you think it's lucky if you drag up a horse shoe?
mcnerney and baseman1 like this.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking Clousers! Now go out and slay some fish.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Trust me, I cannot wait to slay some fish! Last several trips out were skunks though, so I'm just waiting on spring at this point.
@Dan, I do believe that horse shoe is good luck! That is the most beautiful rod by the way. I bet a spey rod tosses clousers like nothing. I've been a spin fisherman my whole life, but I had never even heard of spey before a few months ago when I started getting more interested in fly fishing and doing my research.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You are welcome! Those Firetiger Clousers are a great fly, glad to see you made some of those also. Actually, Clousers in general are a great fly. Good job on those.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

I would not worry to much about it. Fish tend to gulp the whole fly when taking minnow type patterns. Try them out and see how they ride in the water. The main problem I have had with hooks and Clousers is to heavy wire for not enough weight in the eyes. There is a point where they stop riding right in the
Also, if you fish a spot where you hang up a lot like I do, use a thinner wire hook you can bend out and free. I use #2 Aberdeens and bend the eye down. The down eye helps make them ride right way up, plus the wire is thin enough to pull loose if you hang up in crud on the bottom.

You should see the crud I have dragged up off the bottom by the way. Do you think it's lucky if you drag up a horse shoe?
.Luckily the horse was no longer attached!!
Guest1 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Kingo, your Clousers look good! I like the color choices! Agree with Dan about the lengths, Smallmouths will engulf them, so that won't likely be an issue.

One suggestion, tie some with lighter weight eyes, (bead chain works too) and move the eyes back away from the hook eye a little more on some of them. The lighter eyes will not sink as fast, which is not a bad thing sometimes, plus the jigging motion will be less pronounced. With the eyes set back a bit more (I try to go about 1/3 the shank length or slightly more) the result will be more of a gliding action, more like a standard streamer, yet the hook will still be point up and with some less pronounced jigging motion.

There's nothing wrong with what you have, but once the weight is there, if it's not working for you, and they're all tied with the same weight, there's not much you can change on the water. Variety is good!

I had learned this on my own, and later read Clousers book, which suggests the same. Clousers are excellent Smallmouth flies, but some slight adjustments can give different appearances to the same style, which is good to have available when you need it.

Here's a couple I tied, and have posted previously. Notice the eye size & position relative to the rest of the fly. These are tied on size 1 Daiichi worm hooks.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the tips! I picked up a bead chain on the way home from work yesterday and tied these up last night, using some leftover size 6 TMC 300 hooks. I should have just tied one, waited for the cement to dry, and tested it in the water before tying more as Dan said, but I couldn't help myself once I started. If nothing else its good practice. Click the image to open in full size.
I also found that putting a few strands of black bucktail in with the flash makes for a more pronounced lateral line, which may be more for me than the fish

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

As sort of an afterthought on this one, I added a few short strands of orange on the bottom for a throat, as I have seen on a lot of my favorite stick baits for spin fishing. I theorize that it may also deepen the bait's profile in the water a little. I will be sure to post if it actually does anything to help though
baseman1 likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The orange in the throat couldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
.Luckily the horse was no longer attached!!
It still had the nails in it though. Makes you wonder. They had a fire that burned the whole town down in 1910. I think they just shoved a lot of the wreckage into the river where I fish a lot. I've pulled up some odd stuff.