The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Gartside sparrow

Hi - anyone regularly use this pattern for their fishing? I have a lot of pheasant "marabou" from some hunting this last Christmas. This looks like an interesting and easy pattern that supposedly can be put to use in several different ways.

Just wondering if anyone has had success with it -- thanks!

Just going to add: I like Gartside's patterns and would love to know more about them. Is his technique of palmering marabou something he came up with? If so, the popsicle fly would probably owe its origins to him right?

Last edited by turbineblade; 02-09-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gartside sparrow

I was a big fan of Jack's and the sparrow was his first "famous" fly, at least that was his first that I ever hear of.
It's cheap and easy to tie. It has lots of action and is representative of sculpin, nymphs, hoppers... what ever. A typical Gartside fly.

Palmering marabou my not be an original thought, but he's very specific on how it should be done on his original flies.
I have a copy of one of Jack's self-published booklets on his soft hackle streamer, and he goes into great detail on how to do it correctly.
In case you've never tried the soft hackle streamer.....they look so simple in the vice, but they're amazingly realistic in the water !
You need to try one.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I was just checking out his site and there are definite must tie patterns there the Sparrow is on the list along with his soft hackle deceiver.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Great pattern, Have used it in all different sizes.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
I was just checking out his site and there are definite must tie patterns there the Sparrow is on the list along with his soft hackle deceiver.
There are must tie patterns but you had to check to remember what they were? Just giving you a hard time -- j/k.

The sparrow is super easy to tie -- seems like a good use for marabou feathers. I'll look at those soft hackle streamers as well. Thanks!