The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Borax Question

How long do you leave a bird hide coated with Borax before the feathers are ready to be used? I applied Borax about 3 weeks ago and don't know if they are ready to be thrown in the freezer to kill any other critters.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Borax Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
How long do you leave a bird hide coated with Borax before the feathers are ready to be used? I applied Borax about 3 weeks ago and don't know if they are ready to be thrown in the freezer to kill any other critters.
It has beeen a long time since I have used Borax to dry out a bird hide, but just guessing three weeks is probably enough. Does the hide appear to be really dry?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Here are a couple of articles that might help.

Preserving With Borax

FAQ - Processing Fly Tying Materials at Home
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I used to air dry Muskrat & Fox hides on fur stretchers in about 3-4 days in my basement. Thicker hides such as Beavers took about a week. As long as most of the fat is removed, they dry rather quickly in a warm environment.

The Borax absorbs moisture, so you should be good. There still may be oils on the feathers, which is natural. A light cleaning with a degreasing dish detergent will remove the oils, but that can be done prior to tying with the feathers. It will also remove any dirt that may be present, since most birds like to dust themselves. The dirt is what really attracts vermin, so cleaning any fur or feather item is always a good idea. ( Except maybe CDC or Snow Shoe rabbit feet, as the oils is what gives them their floating properties.)

Placing the feathers & hide in a freezer will also help dry up any remaining moisture. Place it in a bag, to keep the borax from getting all over the place & it will be fine.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!