The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree255Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What does your bench look like?

I've got a light I keep meaning to put up on top of the desk, but keep forgetting to get to it. Kinda like the shelf I bought to get the stereo up off the floor, that's only leaning against the wall right now. Also in the hunt for a piece of white formica to glue down to the work surface for contrast and so I'm not slicing into oak when cutting foam with an x-acto knife.

But yeah, the room is pretty bright and enough to where all I need to do when tying small stuff is rig up a white background for contrast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

About 12 years ago I bought a magnifying lamp with the natural light tube, you can see it in my desk picture.
I should have done it when I was in my twenties. It is less strain on my eyes and helps me turn out a better fly.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Cliff,

You must have good eyes with no light or magnifier. I use my glasses, an Opti Visor and a magnifier all at the same time.

Your set up is very functional and all a guy needs.

Frank
Hi Frank,

I for one would be interested in seeing some pictures of your setup.

Neil
Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil,

My bench is in another thread. Think I found three threads about fly tying desks. Tomorrow I will combine all of them into one thread. I don't tye much any more so it is just stuck in the corner of the computer room.

Whoops, the picture of my desk went away when Steve moved to a new server. The Gallery is not working with an upload so it will be a while before I put it up.

Frank
Old 07-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Let's see your tying station

Hi to all,

I combined all of the threads that had pictures of their fly tying desk. Of course I screwed up and somehow got the newest thread last. I think jimw started the newest thread about tying desk. Jimw, am I right. I can't go back and I am sorry I messed up your thread. It did work out so that yours was the last thread started and is the last post in this new thread. So maybe it is not so bad after all.

What do you think about making this a sticky so as new members come aboard they can add to the list instead of starting a new thread?

Frank
Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road

Here is mine, nothing fancy. All 3 containers are full, the white one has thread, hooks, weights ect. The first black one has chenille, marabou and hackle. And the last black one has synthetics, dubbing and hairs. I need to build a tool rack or something because they just lay everywhere and are hard to find sometimes.
The vise is just a cheap c-clamp vise, looking to upgrade something a little better

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Tying Bench

I moved mine to the den, I did straiten the picture when I looked at this photo.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Sorry for the picture. I am too lazy to go shoot another one. I use a 120 year old rolltop desk. I have several shelves of storage boxes. My tying area will be moved to a room next year, right now I have sequestered a corner of the basement.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
Sorry for the picture. I am too lazy to go shoot another one. I use a 120 year old rolltop desk. I have several shelves of storage boxes. My tying area will be moved to a room next year, right now I have sequestered a corner of the basement.
What kind of vise is that? Never seen one before
Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kerry,

The old guys always have those magnifying lamps. I've been using one since the 80's they are especially handy when putting real quill wings on a size 20 blue quill.

Now I like it even more. Mikey, they help even for a young fella like you. Christmas idea?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;