The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default Cat fur dubbing?

Does anyone ever do this? I really like the idea of catching fish with random household items... and my cat sheds fur like its his job.
His fur is really soft, not very long, and kind of a a pinkish/orange color. I'm thinking of maybe trying to dye some red with koolaid. Not sure what I would use it for yet but it could work...
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Cat fur dubbing?

Of course you can. I use my two standard poodles fur all the time. Brown and silver grey. Their coat is naturally buoyant and looks good too. Can't see why cat fur wouldn't work. Trial and error is the best offense. Post a pic if you give it a try.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds reasonable to me. KoolAid dying hair works well but takes longer than feathers. It'd be interesting to see what you get. Maybe pour it through a strainer to get the hair out of the mix. Then mix it in a blender or coffee grinder. I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.

By the way, judging by most cats I know, that is as close to a job as they have.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. KoolAid dying hair works well but takes longer than feathers. It'd be interesting to see what you get. Maybe pour it through a strainer to get the hair out of the mix. Then mix it in a blender or coffee grinder. I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.

By the way, judging by most cats I know, that is as close to a job as they have.
Haha we joke that he is the most worthless roommate ever...
Question, why put it in a blender or coffee grinder? I'd rather not put a bunch of hair in a food processor but then again I don't know much about dubbing.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Question, why put it in a blender or coffee grinder?
Well you don't have to but you get nice even dubbing if you do. I copied this from a site. I just searched for making dubbing.

Quote:
By using a coffee or spice grinder: cut yarn or fur into lengths no longer than 1/2 inch. Add to grinder and whirl away. Some tyers will rub the grinder with an anti-static sheet to remove the static electricity which may cause uneven results. Pulse instead of using a continouus grind. Check to make sure that the fibres do not tangle in the blade and that the synthetics are not melting in the process. This will be seen as little nits of fused plastic throughout the dub. Do not grind for long periods and without continual monitoring. One may want to scrape the sides periodically to aid in the blending process if the materials have vastly different textures
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

You can also blend different color dubbings with the coffee grinder. works great.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

my cats would lose whiskers once in awhile. i collected them with the intention of using them for legs or feelers on flies, but lost them in a move.

Last edited by rubberguy; 02-14-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Haha we joke that he is the most worthless roommate ever...
Question, why put it in a blender or coffee grinder? I'd rather not put a bunch of hair in a food processor but then again I don't know much about dubbing.
If you get a good ball of fur in your palm,you can use a sharp pair of scissors and dice it up in your hand. I do this often. not as nice as a grinder but definitely serviceable. Is your cat a long hair cat with fine fur?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
If you get a good ball of fur in your palm,you can use a sharp pair of scissors and dice it up in your hand. I do this often. not as nice as a grinder but definitely serviceable. Is your cat a long hair cat with fine fur?
He is shorthair with fine fur. I have a ball of fur that I took out of his brush and stuck in a bag with the intent of using it for fly tying. I could probably honestly put it on some thread to dub as it is; is there an advantage to cutting it up? How small should I cut/grind it?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You absolutely can use pet hair from a cat or a dog for flies.

I have a pair of carding brushes that I use to mix dubbing. Works better than any coffee grinder or air system especially for long fibers. They are used to pull apart and align wool from sheep and llamas so the fibers can be spun into wool yarn on a spinning wheel.

They are great for small amounts of dubbing and you can titrate the amounts of different fur to get just the mixture you want.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dog brushes can be used but carding brushes work much better and faster.

biggie_robs, sumojo and bear 007 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy