The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 AM

twr0305 is on a distinguished road
Default Flies swimming hook up or hook down

What's up everybody!? Ive been on the forum for a few weeks and have learned a lot while on here as I have just recently started to jump into fly tying. Well one thing that I have not found though is, How do you know if the fly you are tying is going to swim hook up or hook down? I understand using the SBS instructions of tying certain flies they should swim like they are designed, but if I were to make up my own fly design, how would I know how to ty it to make sure it swims like I want it to? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flies swimming hook up or hook down

seems like the trend in fly tying these days is to tie flies on jig hooks.

kinda takes the guess work out of the equation

https://www.google.com/search?q=jig+...w=1600&bih=775

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

just have to watch how much you put on top of flies like nymphs. I think some of the epoxies will flip a fly over because they throw the balance of a hook off. hooks are designed that the curve and point equal the shank length, once you change this by adding to much weight on top they will flip up side down. if you are not sure how they ride fill a bathtub with water and tie a fly to a piece of tippet and watch how it acts in water. this will tell you if its tied correctly.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's only a couple of ways to purposely get a fly to fish with the hook point up.
One is by attaching your weight on the top of the hook shank and the other is to have your wing buoyant enough to counteract the weight of the hook gape/point.... as on a flies like a bendback, the bonefish special or the Waterwisp dry

Of course then you have a fly like Gary Lafontaine's rollover scud with has just enough weight on top that when it sinks, it's hook point down, but when you give it a little tug, it flips over

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Liphookedau and jpbfly like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Flies swimming hook up or hook down

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
seems like the trend in fly tying these days is to tie flies on jig hooks.

kinda takes the guess work out of the equation

https://www.google.com/search?q=jig+...w=1600&bih=775
Beat me to it!

Many of the European fly fishing competitors now tie all of their flies on jig hooks since they float hook up, letting the nymph bounce along the bottom better with less chance of snags. Seems to work well.

Here's a link to the Umpqua C400BL hooks for example:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Produ...k#.UR5ulKCgyOI
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM

alden699 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista_bob View Post
Beat me to it!

Many of the European fly fishing competitors now tie all of their flies on jig hooks since they float hook up, letting the nymph bounce along the bottom better with less chance of snags. Seems to work well.

Here's a link to the Umpqua C400BL hooks for example:
I am totally agree with you.You are 100% good here that many of the Western fly fishing competitors now tie all of their goes on jig connect hooks since they flow hook up, allowing the nymph jump along the end better with less possibility of snags.
I agreed what is said above!!!

Click here to view | Above Ground Pools

Last edited by alden699; 11-08-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

With the jig hooks how would you tie a nymph? Would you tie it with the nymph back/wing casing towards the hook point or tie it the same way with hook point at the bottom when tying, effectively putting the wing case facing the bottom of the river?

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
With the jig hooks how would you tie a nymph?
same as you would tie a nymph on a regular hook but upside down

examples

Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Flytire,Thanks,even though I've Tied them as Rip has posted,here I go again, I'll just have to buy some Jig Hooks & try Tying them upside Down,without having to Stand on My Head of course.
Brian
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 AM

i cant tell you how many times ive fallen out of my tying chair when tying upside down