The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 PM

crashfromboston is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Norvise

I have a norvise, the learning curve is long. But give it time. Watch norms videos and then put them into practice. I have been tying for 20 years and am still learning everytime i sit at the vise. Is the norvise perfect, no but it can do alot. And if you follow the techniques it can be very fast .

It seems easy when you watch norm but he has been working on his vise for the better part of 30 years. You have to be patient.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Reviving this thread to see if there is anymore input. I currently tie on a peak and it does 99.9% of what I need.

However I started dubbin my thread like Norm does for dries. He takes and pulls a wispy piece of superfine for dries and gives the Norvise a spin. the thread spinning grabs a strand of dubbing and dubs the thread so finely and smoothly it makes for great bodies on dries. I can do this with my Peak but it takes about 2 minutes vs 30 seconds, not a big deal unless you are trying knock out a few dozen. The Peak I have to spin it by hand over and over, where the Norvise give it a spin and it keeps rotating on its own until inertia runs out and it slows down and it stops.

That along with how his bobbin/thread holder is a separate piece and doesn't need rotated in and out with usage seems like a nice feature.

MY friend ties almost exclusively on one and with his bobbins and swears by it. His W2 this year however will be 3x mine so he can afford to play around more.

I did buy the NorBobbins and I must say I was about to crush them with a hammer the first 20 flies I tied. Once I had the "Aha" moment of how to use them properly , they are fantastic. I will be ordering a few more kits.

Quite frankly I want one, but the vise, midge jaws, mounting board, trash can would run like $500. Technically speaking that is a lot of money.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I totally understand your frustration with the bobbin! You can't just cut the thread LOL. If you buy the vise with the standard small jaws I know I can tie down to #22 anyway. You can build a base easily, go to a cabinet maker and get an arbrite (sp?) sink or basin cutout and drill the holes you need yourself. Make your own garbag. If you have some hardwood flooring scraps around I can show you how to make a really nice base.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
I totally understand your frustration with the bobbin! You can't just cut the thread LOL. If you buy the vise with the standard small jaws I know I can tie down to #22 anyway. You can build a base easily, go to a cabinet maker and get an arbrite (sp?) sink or basin cutout and drill the holes you need yourself. Make your own garbag. If you have some hardwood flooring scraps around I can show you how to make a really nice base.
Thanks Kerry

That's great info, I rarely tie smaller than 22 and when I do its not like I would throw the Peak Away. A friend of mine, the one who turned me on to NorVise has tied on them for 10 years or more. He tells me he built a trash catcher and sent Norm Pictures and next thing you know Norm went to market with it. (Not 100% sold on that story).

I like your idea of make your own base.

My Birthday is in June so I just might have to put this on the "wish list"

For the record my $500 figure had a set of fine jaws,new bobbin kit and 10 pack of spools included

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I'm giving some serious thought to trying fly tying for a cure of the winter blues. Having watched Norm's videos has inspired me to make the move and buy his vise and bobbin kit. Not sure about the lamp at this point. I have never tied before so starting on a Norvise might be easier than it would be if I had developed habits from using another vise for some time. I can't find any local instructors here but the internet is loaded with some great videos on the sport.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I'm giving some serious thought to trying fly tying for a cure of the winter blues. Having watched Norm's videos has inspired me to make the move and buy his vise and bobbin kit. Not sure about the lamp at this point. I have never tied before so starting on a Norvise might be easier than it would be if I had developed habits from using another vise for some time. I can't find any local instructors here but the internet is loaded with some great videos on the sport.
An instructor would be great but self taught is not impossible. The Fly Tyers forum here is full of folks ready to help and offer advice/instruction. I once asked about wrapping soft hackles and a member took step by step photos for me and posted them.

This place is a great resource for more than what rod or what reel type of questions.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

As a beginner fly tier, I recently bought a Norvise system while attending the Denver Fly Fishing Show. I attended a tying class at my local Orvis store last SAT and took my vise, mounted to a tying board that I made, and was able to tie a couple of flies without any difficulty. I did not intend on getting the Norvise but after seeing the demo, yes Norm makes it look easy, and also reviewing the conventional vises, I decided on the Norvise. My thought was that I believe that I can go up the learning curve quicker with the Norvise versus the conventional vises. Dubbing alone is a BIG plus. By the way, the tying at the class went well and the dubbing was faster than the guys that were using the standard vises. Also my dubbing appeared more uniform. My tying materials arrived today and I am looking forward to start tying flies from Charlie Craven's book this week. Wish me luck!

Oh, by the way, I too let the thread retract once too many times. I am getting better at remembering to cap off the bobbin or loop the thread over the bobbin post. I also need to quit cutting my thread on the hook point so much. As all before have said, practice, practice,practice!

The Norvise system is for me!
Roger
Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 AM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

I made my own Nor Vise amounting board, as said earlier a kitchen sink cutout or similar will work just fine. yes you need some tools to do it yourself
also dubbing is great done on the Nor Vise. dubbing is easy to do once you get the hang of it, watch Norm on YouTube.

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory

Last edited by monkeyboy; 01-22-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: family
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Plastic grocery bags make great trash catchers for the nor vise. Just slip one handle over each post, and discard when done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk