The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Norvise

Learn me about the Norvise.
I had one follow me home from my clubs swap meet this week and I ain't for sure it's worth keeping.
The concept and video's are great but how is the reality of using such a vise as the Norvise?
I am a long time Renzetti user and aside from the Norvise because of the claim made behind it and it's unique features I had no reason to look for any other tying vise.
So tell me your experience with it please. Is it a keepr that I'll use enough to keep, will I use it along side the Renz or should I get it to a home that will make better use of it?
I really don't know being the darn impulse shopper that I am!
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Norvise

I think your going to have to answer those questions. Dress a few dozen flies on the Norvise and you should have your answer.
I know the impulse shopper thing, I want a Norvise but have been able to hold off so far.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

The videos look great - and the concept makes sense. But from what I've read, there is a large learning curve. I'm going to take a close look at the Nor-vise at their booth at next week's Plesanton Fly Show and confront Mr. Norlander with what I've read and see what he says and hopefully give it a try. But I'm not optomistic because if there is a large learning curve for most folks, that means there will be a huge learning curve for a klutz like me.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jackster: I think the Norvise would be much easier if you started out on one, old habits are hard to break. What I really love about the Norvise is how easy it is to tie up some dubbing brushes.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I use a Norvise. I started tying again after 35 years absence from tying. So it was like starting from scratch for me. I like it. I would say its only draw back is the jaws are on the big side for real small flies (14 and smaller). Being that the top edge is horizontal, tails for some flies maybe a bit tougher to do. I end up tilting the fly forward when working on the tail.

I tend to tie larger flies, Streamers on 4 and larger hooks.

The rotary feature having the hook shank at the centerline of the spinning vise is helpful at times. It gives you another option on how to do things.

If I had to do it over again would I buy a Norvise? I don't know, I'd like to try some other vises for smaller flies to see if its a big enough advantage having smaller jaws that come up from the bottom.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Jackster, I use a Nor-vise and wouldn't trade for anything, I agree with a few others about the learning curve only you can decide. You really need to give it a good work out to get the true feeling of all the features the Nor-vise offer.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Everyone has different tying styles - try and see if it is comfortable for you. The tool has to fit.....
Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

the consensus i see on different forums is the norvise is a love it or hate it type of vise.

norm norlander makes it look really easy to tie flies on his vise because he probably ties every day of the week on it.

i would advise anybody considering one to sit down with one and tie a dozen or so flies before jumping in and drinking the koolaid.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have tied on a number of vises and I went to Nor-Vise about 18 months ago and I won't go back. Not saying it is the best vise for everyone but really you can tie faster or lock it into place and tie as normal. For spinning on dubbing and wrapping various body material it is quick but if you are like me and sometimes the process of tying a fly the regular way is therapeutic you can do that to. The one thing you are going to have trouble with is using the auto bobbins that go wioth it and if you don't have them you need one. When you cut your thread from the fly make sure the spool is cradled in your hand so it doesn't retract the thread.....told myself this about 36 times when I started using it.
Personally I would suggest you dispense with our opinions and watch the DVD, check out YouTube and try it yourself. Give yourself time to get used to it, don't give up just keep tying and I suspect you will find it will work for you and if not there is no shortage of people looking for used ones. Good luck and by the way e-mail Norm if you have concerns he is amazingly quick at replying.
jsquires and troutnut4 like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I use a Norvise. I started tying again after 35 years absence from tying. So it was like starting from scratch for me. I like it. I would say its only draw back is the jaws are on the big side for real small flies (14 and smaller). Being that the top edge is horizontal, tails for some flies maybe a bit tougher to do. I end up tilting the fly forward when working on the tail.

I tend to tie larger flies, Streamers on 4 and larger hooks.

The rotary feature having the hook shank at the centerline of the spinning vise is helpful at times. It gives you another option on how to do things.

If I had to do it over again would I buy a Norvise? I don't know, I'd like to try some other vises for smaller flies to see if its a big enough advantage having smaller jaws that come up from the bottom.
The new Nor-Vise now has an optional small set of jaws for tying very small flies. It resembles a standard set of jaws and is easily installed.