The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 PM

jb fly is on a distinguished road
Default Hackles

How would u pick out the hackle when on a tight budget? To which ones would u get first and use the most?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hackles

What flies do you want to tie? That will determine a lot.

On a very tight budget, 100 packs can be good, but they focus on one or two hook sizes. If you are able in the long run it can better to buy capes or saddles. Capes give you a wide range of feathers (depending on the grade) from short feathers into the 20's up through feathers you can use for tails or to wrap streamers. Saddles focus on certain hook sizes and have long feathers that can tie multiple flies each.

Personally I use grizzly and brown the most often with a dun for BWO's a close third. I find I can use grizzly and brown to fudge a lot of other patterns if I don't have the right color. I've had good success with capes and 100 packs from the Feather Emporium. Haven't tried their saddles. I buy their 100 packs for colors I only use in a few hook sizes - like olive grizzly for drakes and hoppers, and black I only use on 18's - 24's.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Writing introductory hackles pack

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Whiting Farms Introductory Hackle Pack - 4 half capes
webrx and jaybo41 like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Ditto on the grizzly, if I could only buy one that would be it. Also, the whiting intro pack looks like a good deal for a beginning tyer if the budget can support it.

I used the 100 packs when I first started, but, buy mostly saddles or capes these days - you can tie a lot of flies - many 100s - with a good saddle.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Give me Cree any day , ginger and a lite or med dun.