The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tell me what you guys think..

You're there man!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Looking at those ties makes me want to toss my vises and take up macrame or something. Maybe paint by numbers?
If I was anythhing near as good as you starting out I would probably be writing fly tying books by now.
Fine jobs and you are off to an excellent start for sure. You have good technique and a good eye for art. Wow.
I was thinking the same thing. My first fly I tied was a San Juan worm and it sucked so bad I cut it apart.

Very challenging flies as a first tie here
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice fliesyour copper johnson and deep prince are great.Congrats
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Gotta agree. They look excellent. My bedraggled concoctions don't come close.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Thank you everyone for such kind comments and suggestions! I cant tell you how much it means to me that everyone on this forum is so helpful and positive.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You are a natural it seems. Like that deep prince a lot. I may tye a few of those myself.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

what you have tied as a new tyer is really pretty darn good.

as a 30+ year tyer i still get an occasional gap here and there when tying wire bodied flies. for now you shouldnt worry too much about it.

sometimes a gap gives a fly that little extra segmentation

nobody ties perfect flies

your "bead head" brassie will catch fish just fine

the legs on the "bead head" prince may be a bit long but i would fish it anyway

when you get the correct materials to tie the rainbow warrior youll do just fine

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamtime View Post

My Brassie

Click the image to open in full size.
I think you did an excellent job.

If I had one comment I would say that the brassie looks like it has the wire too far down the bend of the hook and the wraps should be touching. It may be just the angle of the photo. I think the two patterns below are about right for a brassie on a scud type hook.

Tying the Beadhead Brassie

Tying the Brassie, a Simple Effective Midge Fly | Suite101

I think the tie below goes too far down the hook.

Fly Pattern - Brassie - | The Catch and The Hatch

When you go around a bend, the wire touches on the inside of the bend, but can get separated on the outside of the bend as in your pattern.

Charlie Craven ties thread midges on the scud hook because there is no separation of the thread which be over wrapped. However, he ties brassies on a straight hook so the wire can be wound tight and touching on the hook shank.
djamtime likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Try some hen (soft) hackle on the nymphs, maybe in badger color. It flows and moves in the water a bit more than stiff hackle.

I'm a big fan of the psycho prince variants, yellow/green, black/red, etc.
Rainbow warriors will look different with different thread under the tinsel, by changing from red to green you get a very different look. Also, I make one with black tinsel that works great (I call it a winter warrior).

Nice flies!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Be sure to follow up with some fish pics, when you take these flies to the stream!!!! There is nothing like catching a trout on your own fly!! Great job.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton