The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default How to thin hard as nails

seems as though the nail polish thickened over time, or if it didn't I want to try and thin it anyway. Would I use nail polish remover for this.
note; I'm confident enough in my man hood to discuss this.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to thin hard as nails

I would try acetone, which is the main ingredient in most nail polish remover. Nail polish removers often have other things in it that are intended to be good for cuticles, but may not be good for flies.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I would try acetone, which is the main ingredient in most nail polish remover. Nail polish removers often have other things in it that are intended to be good for cuticles, but may not be good for flies.
Yup.

But Sallie's has a thinner that you can use. Whatever, get/purchase very little as this stuff goes a very long way.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have quart cans of both acetone and lacquer thinner. Nail polish is a lacquer, so I use lacquer thinner. You can buy it by the quart at a paint store an it will last ???? I'm still using the quart I bought 15 years ago.

If you have acetone, you can use it. I have used acetone but it evaporates faster than lacquer thinner and will need to added again faster than if you use lacquer thinner.

Laquer thinners vary in composition. Some have a lot of acetone, some have very little.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies. I have both straight acetone and lacquer thinner, I'll try the lacquer thinner first.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've had the same bottle of hard as nails over a year now, its that same fluididity now as it was when I bought it. How old is the stuff you have its it has thickened?

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM

This is probably just over a year old but I wanted it a little thinner when it was new, not so sure it thickened up, it may have but it's just too thick for my liking.
Turns out I went and grabbed the acetone, because it was closer to me, It worked great. the hard as nails is at a better consistency for me to apply it more neatly.