The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 AM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Got $65 to blow on hackle...need advise

Hi there! Got about $65 or so and want to start tying dries. Kinda wanna stay in 12-18 range...adams, caddis, stimulators, bwo's, grifiths gnats...I'm really eying the Whiting 100's, would get 3 packs of grizzy, brown, dun in #14...since I read somewhere that they can tie one hook size above and below? Also looking at the Whiting intro pack of 4 1/2 capes...just wanna get a feel of benefits and/or drawbacks of both from those who have experiences with either. Thanks and look forward to your replies
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Got $65 to blow on hackle...need advise

Get the whiting intro pack- 4- half capes, or if you like 4 -half saddles, or 2- half capes and 2- half saddles. You will get a LOT more for your money, enough to tie hundreds and hundreds more flies than with the whiting 100 packs which may be convenient but for what they are are over priced (when you consider the cost vs half capes or saddles)
flytire likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

ditto on the whiting intro pack. a lot of bang for the buck

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good advise from the others. +1 on an intro pack. While I do use and like the 100's, I use them primarily when I'm tying patterns in a specific size in large quantity. Griffith's Gnats are a good example. Based on the list of what you mentioned that you want to tie, you would "need" at at least 3 different colored feathers if you want to stick with the traditional materials list.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Wow! Thanks all....great advise. I will most definitely pick up the intro pack. I would love to purchase the intro saddles but am unable to find an online vendor that carries them...most places seem to have sold out or only carry the capes. Thanks for the advise everyone
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Didn't know those intro packs existed. I'm going to have to pick one up too.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to give these guys a call to check availability. I've had hit or miss success with their inventory but have always had good customer service.

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Whiting Farms Introductory Hackle Pack - 4 half capes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Just check the colors in the pack you buy. For the flies you listed you would want grizzly, brown, and a dun. If you can't find a pack containing those colors (some don't have dun) check out the feather emporium.

A potential downside of those packs is that they aren't the highest grade capes, I think they are bronze? Shouldn't be an issue if you don't tie smaller than 18.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

From Stockard / Whiting
The feather sizes are mostly 10 to 16 and each feather will tie at least several flies. The hackle is not graded by Whiting but the quality is more than equal to their bronze grade.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Awesome! Thanks...10-16 will be perfect for me for a while. Thanks again everyone, will have to give stockard a buzz to check on their availability.