The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By stl_geoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default hackle direction griffith's gnat

Hey - just to double check, the hacke should be oriented "forward" on the griffith's gnat right? And on the adams dry fly (and other similar dries) the hackle is oriented "backward" right?

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hackle direction griffith's gnat

contents deleted
jaybo41 likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

IMHO it is a matter of personal preference. On the Gnat, I do prefer it facing forward
Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Dries should always be straight up/down. For the griffith's i just tie it in however, they are usually destroyed after 3-4 fish eat em.
jaybo41 likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hey - just to double check, the hacke should be oriented "forward" on the griffith's gnat right? And on the adams dry fly (and other similar dries) the hackle is oriented "backward" right?

Thanks,
What do you mean by forward and backward?

I refer to hackle by the convex or concave side. Charlie Craven calls this the outside or inside of the feather meaning the side that faces away or toward the skin.

Using this description, I tie both flies so the convex (outside) side of the hackle faces forward on both flies.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Oh, I meant it like this --

If the hooks is in the vise like normal -- with the hook eye on the right, hook bend on the left -- then the hackle "forward" would look like this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Backward would look like this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the "forward" position (which is the same position used for those tenkara flies) it looks like you have a tendency to trap the fibers when doing the whip finish.

So it doesn't matter which way the hackle is wound? Cool. I was just curious if it mattered.

Thanks --

Also, do griffith's gnats float as well as something like an adams dry fly? I know people tend to throw midges in more slow water, but I was thinking it *might work as a generic dry fly imitation in a pinch.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Tenkara flies intentionally have the hackle stroked and tied in so they face forward. They call it "reverse" hackling for a reason.

For the standard dry fly, you want the hackle at a right angle to the hook shank. Whether the natural curve of the hackle faces forward or backward is less of a concern, but I prefer the natural curve to face forward so that the fly is more aerodynamic. It just looks better to me.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Oh, I meant it like this --

If the hooks is in the vise like normal -- with the hook eye on the right, hook bend on the left -- then the hackle "forward" would look like this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

In the "forward" position (which is the same position used for those tenkara flies) it looks like you have a tendency to trap the fibers when doing the whip finish.
You whip finish behind the hackle and not behind the eye on a tenkara fly.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

For some brilliant hackling technique that is robust and very neat, please see Richard Ward's blog for his Derbyshire flybox and SBS

Dry Fly 'Expert': Double Badger

His double badger is an excellent GG alternative, and the hackling technique is well worth using. I tie almost all of my little dries with the thread coming back through the hackle to whip finish on the head. Robust, durable and easy.