The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Family Friendly Organizer???

I got a 3pack of Rubbermaid "like" lock top bins for the travel trailer for storing band aids , batteries and what not. They worked so well I got 3 more for fly tying. It was like 3 for $8.99. They are about 10" long, 5" wide and 3" deep.Then I have all my peacock herls and pheasant tails thumb tacked to the wall as my office is small. So the smaller bins on top 1 is hooks, 1 is thread/wire, 1 is beads. The bigger bin below has all my dubbing, chenille, micro tube, krystal flash. Then just a little desk organizer for my bobbins and tools

Granted I have 1300+ hooks and same for beads it is amazing how fast $1,200 goes when you "load up" on supplies. Then again I've tied over 900 flies so I'm about to break even......wow I just went there didn't I

Click the image to open in full size.

chetpunisher likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

consider a rolling tool box from one of the big box hardware store

plenty of room and stores away nicely in a closet

fredaevans likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Family Friendly Organizer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
consider a rolling tool box from one of the big box hardware store

plenty of room and stores away nicely in a closet

\
Now this idea has real 'legs.' Fred Likes ... a lot.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

My early material holders were clear plastic page protectors. They come in a variety of pocket sizes-the buisness card size is the same size as may hook pakages- to hold various sizes and amounts of material. The page protectors went into 3 ring binders and the binders got replaced with bigger binders as the stash grew. My vise, tools, glues, and a couple of compartment boxes of beads, thread etc went into my Grandpa's old cedar tackle box. All the binders and the tackle box went onto a high shelf when not in use to keep the cats out of them.
When I got a designated tying desk-an old hollow wood door- I got a two drawer file cabinet to serve as "legs" on one end and all the page protectors went into hanging files in the file cabinet.
On the few occaisions when I took my tying a-travelin', I pulled the page protectors for the materials I thought I'd need, put them in a thinner binder, and the binder and tackle box went with me.
On the con side: There is some stuff that won't fit well in page protectors- Whiting 100's are just a shade too long. Ditto some capes and pheasant tails. More than half of one drawer in full of sheets and chunks of all kinds of foam. I need a new space for it.
Since no one else mentioned it, search tying desks and tying stations herein for more ideas.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-08-2013, 03:06 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Check out Wal-Mart in their plastic storage section. I use some similar to this which are available in the store. Sterilite Latch Box,0.675-Gallon (2.7-Quart) - Walmart.com