The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM

chetpunisher is on a distinguished road
Default Family Friendly Organizer???

I'm just getting back into fly tying. We are in a small house and we have a three year old and a new baby on the way. I'm looking for some cheap ways to organize my materials for quick access. Would like some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Family Friendly Organizer???

Chet,
We need for info about the house. Example...is there a basement to set up in? A spare room or possibly an empty closet? Possibly a small outdoor shed if you live south enough to not deal with cold?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your new addition. I use something like this:

Staples® 5-Drawer Organizer | Staples®

Placed right by my bench, my materials are tucked away until I need them. As your materials collection grows, just add another. Dubbing goes in a separate plastic storage box.
fredaevans and chetpunisher like this.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 AM

chetpunisher is on a distinguished road

Small house, Michigan Basement, not finished. I was thinking of just getting a bunch of small disposable tupperware. Not a ton of room. I have a base vise, so being able to transport to the dining room table and unpack and repack would be very useful. I can't be alone in this situation can I?

Baby is due in June. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Something like this, but maybe larger should work.

Amazon.com: Snapware 7011 16-Inch by 9-Inch Smart Store System: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Snapware 7011 16-Inch by 9-Inch Smart Store System: Kitchen & Dining
chetpunisher likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use an old dresser/bureau with shoe box dividers for a lot of my materials
And if you got a youngin', then you're probably just recycling quantities of these handy things

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
chetpunisher likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-23-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Room dependent (floor space) find a 'cheap' roll top desk. Everything tucks way, as close to 'kid proof' (lock the roll down, etc.) as you can get. Shove the important stuff aside and you have a work station for a lap top and ..... paying bills .....

Got mine well after 'kids' but two very curious cats ..... Neither chewed anything, but God did they love to use the 'stuff' as a play toy.
chetpunisher likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

I found plastic organizers at Harbor Freight Tools for 4 bucks apiece. Organize hooks, beads, thread, etc. You can remove the dividers for feather storage!

24 Compartment Large Storage Container
chetpunisher likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
I use an old dresser/bureau with shoe box dividers for a lot of my materials
If you really are short on space, you could stash the kids in the bottom drawers.

My mom (who grew up in the Great Depression) did tell my sister once when she was looking for a crib to use the bottom drawer of a dresser till they could find a decent one for her new baby boy--just open it, set the little guy in on some good padding, and he'd sleep. Worked just fine.
chetpunisher likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have used this in the past for my portable setup, even holds light and vise
Stanley Hand Tools :* 018603R *-* Stanley® 2-in-1 Mobile Work Center
chetpunisher likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..