The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default LOVE IT when a plan...

...comes together...

Back in November 2009, I designed and named this Midge pattern after a friend who was not entirely convinced about the effectiveness of the color purple...

Click the image to open in full size.

KEITH’S PURPLE DISBELIEF

HOOK: Mustad C49S, #18 – # 22

THREAD: Gordon Griffiths 14/0 Sheer Black, UTC 70, Dark Gray

ABDOMEN: Gray Tying Thread

OVERABDOMEN: Hareline Stalcup’s Micro Tubing, Clear

RIB: Wapsi, Wine, X-SM

WING: Royal Blue Krystal Flash, 3 strands

THORAX: ICE DUB, UV Dun

BEAD: Spirit River, Charcoal Metallic, SM

There is an acquaintance of mine named KEITH who squawked “PURPLE?” when he saw this pattern on my FB page. Well, he will squawk directly to his vise when I post some photos on his wall of just what this fly, in this color, can do. And, having named it after him, I will live rent free in his head…forever…heh,heh…

This is what my friend Keith and the Midge caught this past week on the Lower Kings River, near Fresno, CA...

...A 27" fingerling...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOVE IT when a plan...

PT: Sweet! A lot of people over look the effectiveness of midge patterns, and you tie some awesome patterns, great to see a plan come together like that.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If you get the chance to fish for fall summer runs on the Deschutes jump the hook size and bring a pocket full of those with you. Purple is an amazingly effective colour on that river.

fae[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet tie!

One of my favorite flies for winter/early spring fishing to trout on Idaho waters is my KG's Deep Purple Peril Midge - purple works very well!

Kelly.
planettrout likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Sweet tie!

One of my favorite flies for winter/early spring fishing to trout on Idaho waters is my KG's Deep Purple Peril Midge - purple works very well!

Kelly.
Kelly,

I saw this little guy in one of your articles in FF&TJ...it is on my list of "to-do" patterns to be included in filling up my next Midge Box...

http://kent-klewein.com/georgia-fly-...im_fly_box.jpg

...soon

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/