The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default Jungle cock feathers

Good day, I was curious if anyone knows of a place where i might find a small amount of J.C feathers or a partial cape? Would anyone be willing to sell me some? At this point I'm not really interested in spending 75$ on a full cape, even though I should be. Thanks, CW

Last edited by cw76; 02-24-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jungle cock feathers

I have purchased some from the Theriault Family Farm in Maine. They sell them by the pack if you don't want to spend for a whole skin. I couldn't find the jungle cock page on their site but they do still mention them. Google them to find the site and send them an email.

I believe the Feather Emporium carries them as well but I haven't purchased from them and don't know if they sell small than a cape. There is a guy in Estonia who sells capes on ebay for under $50 but I've heard mixed reviews on the legality of it. Haven't waded into it myself as I just needed a few nails for a feather inlay. Perhaps someone else will speak to the legal issues involved, if any.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the skinny on JC:

Jungle Cock are both on the CITES list of Endangered and Threatened Species, a US Fish and Wildlife permit is required to legally bring parts of either into the US, UNLESS, you have proof that the materials came from specimens that were killed PRIOR to the date of CITES.

http://www.lab.fws.gov/idnotes/IDB911.PDF

If the animal was a 'recent' "legal" kill, under cites, the Exporting Country also has to grant a Permit from that country before it can legally be shipped, or exported, from that country; in addition to the US Import Permit and all "point-of-origin" permits.

ALL documentation must accompany the materials throughout the trip. The exceptions is: For jungle cock that has been domestically raised, all that is required is PROOF that the cape came from a domestic bird.

The associated "Red Tape" for such an Import is designed to be sufficient enough to deter the average fly tier from going to the trouble to bring such items into the US.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

How the heck does Jungle Cock get to where it is even slightly threatened? For those of you that are not aware, they are the ancestor of the domestic chicken, and not very far removed. They look and act like a dang chicken. It seems to me that they should be able to raise the dang things to the point they could be serving it at Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I digress. How many do you need and what size? I had an bad E Bay accident a while back. I kept bidding on capes and getting sniped and outbid. I had to be away fromthe computor when a bunch came up. I bid what I was willing to pay on three, and of course, Murphy's law, got all three.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I digress. How many do you need and what size? I had an bad E Bay accident a while back. I kept bidding on capes and getting sniped and outbid. I had to be away fromthe computor when a bunch came up. I bid what I was willing to pay on three, and of course, Murphy's law, got all three.

That's some luck you have there DD. Crazy how that works isn't it? I've been a recent sniping victim a few times myself but not on feathers or tying materials. Reels to be specific.

Good on you for parting with a few
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:37 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

let me guess cody....tyin up some grey ghosts??

ARFE
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Boy, I wish I would have found some for $75! Try Tolt River Anglers here in WA. I bought a cape from him last fall and it was great stuff. He might have smaller amounts.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks so far for the responses and good info. PM to DD forthcoming. CW
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Thanks william j.
I'll check then out also as it won't hurt to have a few Packets for Spares especially if I get into Tying Salmon Flies..

Dan.
From time to time I also have bid on Jungle Cock Capes,I wasn't lucky enough or missed The end of The Auction,the good news is you might have bought them.
Like lots of people I know I don't really use a lot & still have some left,
unfortunately with them getting Scarce Everyone had better hang onto Them.
I have no trouble getting Emu as well as other Birds as they are dead on The Roads everywhere in The Outback,especially when it's Harvest Time,they frequent The Roads looking for Spilt Grain & now Duck Feathers have become easier to get as Duck season has opened again after quite a few years.
The trouble is there's lots of restrictions sending Feathers into other Countries.
Brian
williamhj likes this.