The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road
Default Does it matter?

Going to try and start tying here pretty soon, just looking around at vices and I was wondering if it really matters what vice you have and why one is better than another? I have been noticing the massive price differences and am wondering if its worth it. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it matter?

Not really! Find one that fits your needs and go for it. Most of the old timers here tied on the Thompson Model A vise, I think I paid something like $20 for mine. You will find on some of the cheaper vises that the jaws will wear prematurely, I think because the material isn't very hard, but that is just my opinion. That being said there are a lot of great vises on the market to choose from that won't break the bank.
yonder likes this.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been tying for so many years it's not funny. Till a bit over a year ago I did it on a vice that is older than most of the members here and cost less than $20 to buy one pretty much just like it right now. Really nice rotary vices are great but you don't need one to tie flies.
yonder likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Ok, thats what I want to hear! Sounds like I should probably be fine with something in the 30-40 dollar range.

I have a feeling I'm going to be tying some midges this weekend.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattneeds View Post
Ok, thats what I want to hear! Sounds like I should probably be fine with something in the 30-40 dollar range.

I have a feeling I'm going to be tying some midges this weekend.
While I'm sure you will be fine, if you find your hooks slipping while you try to tie, then you'll know that either

1) you're using the vice incorrectly

or

2) you bought a vice that can't handle small (midge-size) hooks.

At some point, you will quit tying or upgrade.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I used a cheap 'kit' vise for the first two years of tying. It worked, but when I finally upgraded to my Griffin rotary, it was like night and day. I paid $45 for my Griffin. If I had to do it over again, I would never have bought that kit, I'd have gone straight to the Griffin or some other moderately priced rotary.

Good luck.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Only reason I have a fancy vise is cause it was a present, if I never got it I would be tying with the same kit vise I had at 18.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

I started w/ a cheap vise that was given to me. Then my son got me a Cabelas Vise Kit like $50. About a yr ago I bought a Peak Pedestal Rotary, I like it alot.
But as far as do you need a high$ vise, absolutely not, same as you don't need a high $ rod, but you'll probably want 1 @ some point
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

since you are in montana there must be some fly shops around. got to them and sit down with the demo vises and try them out.

try out the stationary ones ($), the roatary ones ($$-$$$) and the true rotary vises ($$-$$$)

remember that a vise is only there to hold the hook while you the tyer gets creative with fur, feathers and thread. it wont tie flies for you!

do you need a rotary or true rotary vise to start tying flies? absolutely NOT!

there are still a lot of pro tyers tying on stationary vises.

if your enthusiasm for fly tying continues then you might want to consider upgrading to a better and more expensive vise. you may find that tying flies just doesnt appeal to you

just an opinion, yours will be different

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I've been tying for less than a year. Initially purchased a cheap tying kit (vice and tools) from Cabelas, but returned it almost immediately. Not willing to spend a fortune I found a used Danvise ($65), which significantly enhanced the tying experience.

This forum was extremely valuable in my search for a vise as well as a Fly Fish Ohio vise review. If you haven't already seen them, check out the following threads before you buy a vise.
What vise do I need?

and

What vise do I need?

Good luck!