The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removing An "Unwanted" Odor from hackle...

I think your insurance company stinks. Travelers tried to pull one on my brother when they had the bad fires near Durango. The fire got right up the road from his house and they called and told him they were cancelling his insurance.

Here's something you may want to do. He called the state office that regulates insurance in Colorado. They did not cancel his insurance. Fortunately his house did not end up burning down, but it got houses right up to his. That was in case you missed it, Travelers. He also testified in front of congress over it. He cancelled them after that.

Companies that try that need to be exposed. In that light, what was the companies name?

The only suggestion I have is warm water and Dawn dish soap maybe.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Jerry,

Straight vinegar will eliminate urine smell because the acidity of vinegar reacts to the ammonia found in urine. Then after washing with dish soap; dust with baking soda or Borax to absorb the vinegar smell. I used to do this with my skins when I was doing taxidermy mounts.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

dabluz... I think we all have our personal moments of "heroism," whether it's the simple kindness of helping out someone in distress-- like being broken down on the side of a road --or really going the extra mile to give whatever one can to help relieve the burdens of a family in need. Those who do these things without seeking recognition are the true "heroes," as are the brave kids fighting over in the Middle East.

Me? I've chosen to live-- and fight my battles, be they medical or financial --mostly under the proverbial radar. I was raised by my grandparents on their farm, and it was there that I was gifted with the personal convictions that have shaped who and what I am and that which I believe in-- family first, faith in a better day to come, and the rewards of responsibility, respect and hard work. I owe my "never say quit" attitude to my grandparents, my proudly stubborn mix, if you will, of their Scot, Irish and Polish heritages.

Do I see my glass as "half full?" You bet... I've been blessed with a great family and a long marriage, an outstanding oncology team, and good friends, both near and far. Oh, rest assured, there have been moments that have challenged me to the core. But, when they come up, I do a loose interpretation of what the old proverb of good wishes says... "Put the wind at my back, and let the sun shine on my face." To date, it has worked for a very long time...

And, just as a quick update... The smell that permeated the hackle seems be losing its hold. We just might save these feathers yet!!!

To you all... May the first light of every day always found you knee-deep in a favorite trout stream in the months to come...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

EUREKA!!!!!!!!! While I'm not really sure, exactly, which "cure(s)" finally did the trick, the defaced hackle survived the official "sniff test" this morning!!! Some feathers will be seeing the bottom of a trash bag, as their overall integrity was severely compromised. Still, the bulk of the lot are back into the bin for safe-keeping, until I run through the "best of the rest."

I want to thank each and every single one of you for weighing in on the subject. You gave me options that might have escaped notice, and helped me to save a bin of feathers that I doubt I could replace without a substantial cash outlay. And, for that, you have my eternal gratitude!

No matter what, please don't ever lose that willingness to help! That characteristic alone is what sets some of the fly-fishing websites-- like this one --apart from all others... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

now hide them feathers in a closet!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM

flytire,

The feathers were transfered to a cedar-lined box and placed inside the gun safe this morning. If somebody can get at them through that steel, then they can have anything they want!!

Jerry, aka hairwing530