The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Removing An "Unwanted" Odor from hackle...

Please forgive the bluntness of this question, but does anyone know a sure-fire way to remove the smell of urine from a tub full of hackle? Our home was broken into last month and robbed-- rods, reels, tying gear, a shotgun and every electronic device that they could carry --and during the destruction phase that the thieves left in their wake, they decide to urinate into a plastic tub filled with classic old Hoffman necks and saddles. I've tried every remedy known to man for the last month to rid the feathers of this odor, but my best efforts have come up short. If I don't come up with something soon, the feathers will be headed for a burn barrel. They're that bad!

Any suggestions?? Let me know if you've got one... Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 02-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removing An "Unwanted" Odor from hackle...

Our home was broken into and robbed last month too,so I know what you feel...they only stole jewels and money...left all the fishing gear and didn't damage anything except a window...looks like you were less lucky than us...I think you could wash everything with water then dry all in the sun and with a hairdryer...you should find a product to destroy smells in a shop...in europe we use this:Febreze - Désodorisants textiles
test it on some hackles first
Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

You might want to try a recommendation for removing dog urine (Dog Urine: Clean & Remove Dog Urine in Carpet FREE Recipe). I can't vouch for its effectiveness, but it utilizes fairly common household items, so you won't be out a lot of money to try it.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I have used this product to good effect getting rid of puppy mistakes:
NATURE'S MIRACLE™ Urine Destroyer Intense Urine Stain & Odor Remover - Dog - Sale - PetSmart

Gary
Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

were these hackles just laying in a basket and not in their zip lock bag??

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey flytire,

To show you what kind of degenerates broke into our house, in the midst of their wreaking destructive havoc on the place, they took the time to dump the zip-loc bags back into the sealed plastic bin, do their damage and then replace the lid! Stupid? You bet, especially given the amount of time it must have taken them.

By the way, the three "meth-heads" were caught not long ago in a major inter-state drug bust. As for my fishing gear and our electronics? Long gone... As my wife and I were at my oncologist's office for the better part of a half day, I guess they could afford to take their time.

Still, on the plus side, no one was hurt and my status as being in "full remission" following another brain tumor remains intact!

Jerry, aka hairwing530
gt05254 and rubberguy like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Wow...quite a story!

Congrats on being beating the big C!!!

Did homeowners insurance cover any of the stolen stuff?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Nope... not a dime! They invoked a clause in my policy that pertains to "thefts that occur within a three-year period." Apparently, they had the "option" to cover all of it, some of it, or nothing at all because we had a break-in in 2010. It happens a lot here on the river, especially because of the remote nature of where the little house sits, and I paid additional premiums because of our "remote location."

But, the underwriters flatly refused to cover anything. After all, how much could "feathers" really be worth? Where were my receipts for my rods-- most of which were acquired through trades and the like? Even with receipts for the electronic gear, they continued to fall back on their "out clause," something they said that I should have be aware of, since I did receive a copy of my policy. (Who reads that litany of garbage from cover to cover?)That's why the company is now my "former" insurer...

So, even if it is a pain, check your policies carefully and talk to your agents. I'd rather that none of you ever get the rude surprise that I did...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

And, one last thing... brookfieldangler, thank you for your kind words about my cancer. It was my third dance with the devil in the last 15 years, but far from the worst of the battles. Brain tumor #2 rendered me blind-- and by blind, I do mean blind--for five long years before a 12+ hour "miracle surgery" restored my eyesight in late 2009.

After returning home from the hospital, I can't even begin to describe the wonders of being able to "see" my wife, the kids and the cedar-lined river that runs in front of the house. The green of the trees was vivid beyond recall, and the sky had a tint of blue that belies description. And, for the river to become more than just something for the audio nerves or sense of touch? It was one of those "best days" that we tuck away for safe keeping...
All good, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
darwin and gt05254 like this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 02-26-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Ditto the Nature's Miracle recommendation by Gary above. Works surprisingly well with organic stains and odors. If you go this route, I'd suggest saturating each patch individually in a tray of product. Don't rinse; just allow to air dry. I haven't noticed any residue when having used it on carpet and fabric, but you may wish to wash the patches with a mild soap if you detect any difference in the feathers afterward.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Wow....Hairwing....you are my hero. It's easy to see that bad luck has been on your tail for quite a while yet the way you write....you seem to be the type of person who sees his glass as half full instead of half empty.

Having an insurance company pull out the fine print to tell me that I'm paying insurance for nothing.....I would have gone bananas.

Next time something does not go right for me....I will think of you and know that bad luck does not always happen to me.