The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Very cool emerger

heres another one similar effect

the way i tie them - Fly Fishing Forums

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
heres another one similar effect

the way i tie them - Fly Fishing Forums
Flytire: Very cool, yet simple way to tie that emerger. Have you ever tied any up and fished them?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It works now. Not sure what the heck was wrong earlier. Very cool fly. You can do the same kind of postless parachute hackle with actual hackle also. You tie in the stem of the hackle upright like a post, and then dub the thorax with the rest of the hackle stripped to where the hackle starts when it gets back to the post. Tie it off like you would any other hackel and then bend down and tie off the stem of the hackle. Work the stems into the dubbing and it looks just like this fly but with hackle.

This was the fly you meant right?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's the one. I'll have to try the hackle ones too. It's hard to visualize but perhaps if I sit down and try tying some. Nice to have some different flies in the box.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be hard to visualize because my explanation sucked. Use the butt end stem as the post and once you get the dubbing on, wrap the hackle and then tie it off then fold the stem/post down and tie it off also.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, that makes more sense. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

the hackles not a problem...I am still amazed at the spiral wrap...I need new glasses to even look at that one...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Flytire: Very cool, yet simple way to tie that emerger. Have you ever tied any up and fished them?
i have not tied or used one.

i just had the post bookmarked for future use

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It might be hard to visualize because my explanation sucked. Use the butt end stem as the post and once you get the dubbing on, wrap the hackle and then tie it off then fold the stem/post down and tie it off also.
Another technique is to tie in a loop of monofilament as a post, wrap the hackle around the mono, pass the hackle tip through the loop, and then pull the tag end of the mono tight to close the loop and lock the hackle tip in place.