The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very cool emerger

Just saw this pattern online and thought it was worth sharing. I really like the use of deer hair in place of the hackle on this emerger and will have to tie some up once I get my vise unpacked. If you click on 'flies' at the top of the page you'll find some other great patterns. I don't know anything about this site but looks like it has some nice stuff on it, well worth exploring.
fysh, popperfly, wt bash and 4 others like this.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Very cool emerger

Quite neat.

Im not sure how they stack the hair like that though
Old 02-27-2013, 12:04 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Quite neat.

Im not sure how they stack the hair like that though
Scroll down the page. There are step-by-step instructions. Essentially, you just flatten a deer hair wing post with your finger and lock the flattened hairs into place with a drop of glue.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

William: Thanks, that is a very nice looking emerged pattern and looks to be pretty easy to tie. With my poor eyesight I'm wondering if I will be able to see once on the water. I'm going to tie a few up and see.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Larry, you do lose the indicator part of the parachute pattern so that's a negative. Could be a good fly to trail behind a more visible one during a hatch. I also wonder if you could either pull some of the deer hair back upright after flattening the post or even tie some colored post yarn in with the deer hair and pull it back upright then secure it all with the glue or bugbond?

Once I'm unpacked I'll have to do some experimenting.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to look at it and keep getting a page that says "Internal server error". Can't see it.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I tried to look at it and keep getting a page that says "Internal server error". Can't see it.
Dan, it's working now; just open with no problems!

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Scroll down the page. There are step-by-step instructions. Essentially, you just flatten a deer hair wing post with your finger and lock the flattened hairs into place with a drop of glue.

I got that part...I was missing the part on how to form the post but have figured it out.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

The body looks great to me, not sure about the post yet...
Thanks for sharing this.
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM

I'm impressed by how the hair looks like hackle from the bottom, though not as fine. I figure I could use dyed hair for different patterns. Of course could also use biots and the like for the body, though the moose is great.