The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By bruce m

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 03:12 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Remove smells from Bucktail

Following the theme of harwing530's post I was wondering if anyone could help me get the stink out of some bucktails. The ones I have stink, not enough to gag a maggot, but more than I care for. I hung them outside one afternoon and every cat and buzzard in the area came by for a visit. They are bone dry and I do not see any rot or excess fat, not real sure what to do other than toss them out. For now they are sealed with a box of baking soda, hoping that might absorb some of the funk.
Thanks for any advise.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Remove smells from Bucktail

I have one natural coloured tail that stinks too. I've had it for quite a few years and it still stinks....lol. I have convinced myself that the stink may attract the fish....lol. Anyway, this particular tail had not been cleaned properly and was even a bit oily to the touch. I have used up quite a bit of it over the years. It does have very long hair though....the longest I have been able to find so far. I cut off the stem of the tail as I work towards the tip and the stink decreases.

I keep it sealed in a plastic bag and use it for really big flies for pike or tandem size 2 trolling flies when I want to give flies away. When tying flies for myself, I use polar bear hair most of the time. Really great stuff.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I got a stinky tail too... oh wait you're not talking about that kind are you.... never mind.
Sep, flytire, baseman1 and 1 others like this.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I think any guy over 50 gets a stinky tail...

pack it baking soda in a plastic bag for a week see if that helps.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Try putting them in the freezer in a tied shut grocery bag. This trick works for my barefoot sneakers.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover