The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Wetting maraboo and peacock herl colors

Hey folks, I've read some literature that suggests wetting maraboo when using it for buggers and the like to make it easier to work with. My question is: wouldn't/couldn't that cause dry rotting and or hooks to rust?

Second question. I recently did some riffle kicking and have tied some flies to match the march brown nymphs in my area. One thing that stuck out at me was just how pale white their bellies are! My new flies are tailored to have a dark top and white belly (and a nice flat profile, if I could post a pic I would.) The question this experience left me with was this: Why is it that pheasant tail nymphs, which are supposed to be a generic mayfly nymph imitation, use peacock herl as the bottom of the thorax, when many or most nymph undersides are white? Does the herl (which does give off a different color when wet) sufficiently mimic a white underside?

Thoughts, comments, threats, bribes??
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wetting maraboo and peacock herl colors

the PT is a match more for the B.W.O.'s and Blue Quill type flies.. a lot of the older flies were tied in the round as to tying them now with a lighter belly and darker back.
the whiter color could be they have recently shed and are still darkening their exo-skeleton..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your first question, just place the flies on a paper towel until they are dry: no rust or rot. Consider that every fly that you have fished gets wet. You put it on a drying patch after using it. Then you put it back in your fly box after it is dry. If wetting flies caused rust or rot, flies would be a one use only product.

To answer your second question, most of the time fish are feeding opportunistically. So the great majority of fish would not be selective to the point of refusing a fly that does not match the coloration differential of the anterior and posterior of the natural.

Yes, a dual color fly is a better match than and single color fly, but that is an advantage ONLY WHEN the fish are selective enough to refuse the single color fly and take the dual color fly. The question then becomes, how often will that occur?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Silver,

Thanks for the reply! What you say does make sense. I suppose that most trout aren't going to be that fussy here in KY since most are stocked. I guess the biologist in me was curious. Upon reflecting on the matter, peacock herl does give some flash to flies and since nymphs tend to tumble as they go through a riffle, the herl could show a lighter bottom. As for the march brown nymphs themselves, they usually do have this white-ish bottom, and they are also about to hatch here soon, but that event withstanding, I still can't imagine the trout here would key on just their coloration over any other hares ear, PT, or Jor Fly special. It did give me the chance to tie a nice new pattern (which I can't wait to try since the streams around here are teaming with those things right now!) Thanks again for all you help Silver.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

And just a follow up on the first question. It's been my experience that you don't need to wet them much at all to be much more workable. Just lick your fingers, or dampen them on a sponge if you prefer, and that is all the moisture you will need to make the feather more manageable.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

as bruce mentions, you are only dampening the marabou to remove the fly away properties of it.

no need to drench the marabou in a bowl of water.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/