The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Novice tyer looking for critque/pointers

Very much nicer. You could start your tinsel body just opposite of the barb (a bit further back). The head is much better. It's difficult to have that nice triangular shape head when there is no material under the hook. I never make any streamers without something under the body because they just do not look right in my book. For the BND, I put the white hair under the hook shank. I rarely tie a streamer without a painted eye.

As for catching fish....no doubt your streamers will do just fine.

I taught my wife's uncle to tie flies. They looked horrible and he used cheap saddle hackles that he would cut shorter with scissors. The head's of his flies were just a ball of twine and he used weird colours....lol. He caught a lot of fish with his flies.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Awesome progression from your first BND to the second one you've shown us! Way to go.
Gary
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to like your grey ghost as is. I think that it's quite fishable and I've seen others meant for catching fish, that looked similar.
Unless you're tying classic flies for hanging on the wall, how a fly "is suppose to look" is subjective
gt05254 likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Looks like your off to good start. it just requires practice.

If you're tying fishing flies, try to have the wings finish as close to the bend of the hook as possible. that way, when they're swimming, they won't foul the bend of the hook.

When you get to display flies, you'll be able to leave the longer and more droopy, as Carrie Stevens did on her flies.

Keep at it. I started with streamers about this time last year. Its a fun learning experience. Continue to post your flies here, you'll get plenty of good feedback.

Eunan
gt05254 likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM

hornpout is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip on ending the wings at or near the bend. That is one problem I have noticed with some of my streamers. The wing get around the hook bend and turns my streamer into a water screw!

Now, if only I could get the work place to understand I need time to go home and work on tying flies things would be nice. Will be sitting down on the vice after I get out though and will hopefully have some more improved examples to post up soon.

Thanks again to everyone for all the responses. I am blown away by how helpful and friendly everyone I have spoken with on this board is. Just wish I had found it months ago!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM

So here is my attempt at the Stevens style Gray Ghost which I affectionately term the Gray PIA. It didn't come out too bad but I'm thinking I will stick with the easier version until my skills improve a bit.

Click the image to open in full size.
Guest1 and bruce m like this.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

You did fine! that fly has a great head on its shoulders!
Gary
hornpout likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornpout View Post
I will stick with the easier version until my skills improve a bit.
That's advise I have to give to myself at times also. Sometimes my desire exceeds my abilities.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Here's round 2 on the black ghost. The head still turned out a little big but I am pretty happy with the rest of it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Hornpout, I've been following this thread & your progression is superb. That Black Ghost will fish! Only suggestion I have, looks like you used a single pair of hackles for the wing. I make it a point to use 3 pairs on any feather winged flies I tie, but that's not always practical on smaller flies.

Try at least 2 pairs, it will give it a more solid appearance, and the wing won't be as flimsy, which will aid in keeping it from fouling around the hook. Hackle with more web would be better, but sometimes you have to use what you have.

The body taper could be a little better too, but that will certainly come with more practice as fast a you're progressing!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!