The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM

hornpout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Novice tyer looking for critque/pointers

Bigjim, thanks for the comments. I did use two pairs of hackles for the wings but unfortunately the white hackles I have are pretty poor. I only have a few left from this batch and will be looking for some higher quality ones when I purchase my next batch. I will try using three pair on the next one I do though and see if that helps them.

Can you explain a little more to me what you mean by body taper and what I'm looking to accomplish with it? I'm not really up on all my terminology.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Take a look at the Black Ghost that flytire posted previously in this thread. The body has a very slight taper to it & a smooth transition. Yours has a slight bump at the back end, probably the result of over lapping the tinsel rib when you started the body floss. It's not a big issue, and doesn't affect the fishing qualities of the fly, but aesthetically, the body should progress smoothly along it's length. Same with the rib. You've done an exceptional job with that, as it's not uncommon for novices to get a kink in the rib.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Pretty fly! Have you considered buck/calf tail wing instead of hackle?

I tend to avoid hackle wings because they "rudder" through the water sometimes...especially the flight wing feathers used on some of the the streamer and wet patterns.

Just a thought -- the tie is very nice
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Hair wings are another option.

I tie with "cheap" hackle quite a bit. I buy strung neck or saddle hackle and there's usually a bit of it that is not what most would consider good quality. However, for fishing purposes, it's fine & I've learned to deal with it & get the intended result. If I was tying for display, that would be a different situation, and I would be more selective about what I use.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 PM

moucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nice

Those second tries are the real deal! I've seen commercial ties in fly shop that didn't look as good as yours. I especially think you nailed the Black Nose Dace.

I like to tie my Black Ghost wings with white marabou rather than saddle hackle. It gives more action in the water and doesn't have the "rudder" effect. I also tie mine with a bit fuller yellow beard than yours -- but fuller or sparser is a stylistic preference. I figure that since a Black Ghost is an attractor lure rather than a smelt imitation, I'll give them something meaty to bite into.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 PM

hornpout is on a distinguished road

I do see what you are talking about Bigjim. Thanks for explaining that out for me. I hadn't really paid much attention to that transition area.

I never thought about trying it with a hair wing. Can you do that with pretty much any feather wing style fly and just swap it out for a hair wing? Also, would you just go with straight white bucktail or would you mix in any other colors to give it some depth?

I have read about using the marabou to give the fly more action in the water. Are there any special techniques with using marabou for the wings or to you pretty much size it up as needed and tie it in?

Sorry for the rapid fire questions there. Thank you all again for all the helpful comments and pointers. They are all very appreciated!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 AM

moucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nice

The best way to tie a marabou wing is with a "blood marabou" feather. These feathers have very small, flexible center quills, so you can simply tie in the entire feather as your wing. You can get packages of strung blood marabou feathers dyed in various colors. Tie in the blood feather by the center stem, pull on it to bring the wing in to the desired length, trim the stub and you're done. If you use a stiffer marabou feather, you have to cut the individual marabou fibers off the stem and tie them onto the hook as you would a hair wing, and it can get messy.