The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM

hornpout is on a distinguished road
Default Novice tyer looking for critque/pointers

Fairly new fly tyer trying to practice up and get ready for the upcoming season. I've tied up a few streamers recently and was looking for some critique/pointers on pattern issues or any technique issues that you may see in what I've done.

I do plan to switch from the fake jungle cock to the real stuff once I'm sure I've got things going fairly well. Figured the fake stuff would work just as good for learning with.

Grey Ghost
Click the image to open in full size.

Black Ghost

I'm thinking I was a little too sparse with the bucktail on this one, especially the white.
Red and White

Black Nose Dace
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novice tyer looking for critque/pointers

Hey 'pout
I don't think that there is such a thing as "too sparse"
... except maybe the black lateral line on the dace and that may just be the picture. On a live black nose dace it's very distinctive
Other than that (and maybe the overly large heads), those are just what you need.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

this is what your gray ghost should look like

Gray Ghost step by step

the black ghost should look like this (as a featherwing)

the red and white so not bad at all but some have a topping of peacock herl

the tail on the black nose dace should be much shorter. it is supposed to represent the anal vent. the buck tail wing should be 3 separate layers white black brown

please understand i'm just trying to help

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 02-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Great start, Hornpout! Most beginners crowd the eye, you're pretty much the opposite. You can tie off your body a little closer to the eye, you'll have a little shorter head, which is ok.

I bet they'll all catch fish!
Gary

P.S. I did a Step by Step on my blog on tying a Magog Smelt; the basics will hold true for tying most hairwing streamers (there's also a post on my blog on tying a featherwing streamer). I'll put the smelt link here, if the moderators don't want it up, they can freely delete the link. you'd just have to go to the blog and look around. Have fun: http://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/...gog-smelt.html
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Rip Tide, I have heard the "can never be too sparse" once or twice before. I have just recently moved from the "if a little is good a lot must be great" camp to the "less is more" camp and wasn't sure if I had gone too far the other way or not. The bnd lateral line is partly the photo but mostly me. I'll make sure to pay a little more attention to making that more prominent.

Flytire, thanks for the pics and the link to the grey ghost walk through. They really explain the steps in great detail with some nice tips thrown in there. Looking between your pics and mine it looks like I'm running too far back on the hooks with bodies and tails as well so I will make sure to keep an eye on that.

Gary, thanks for the encouragements and your comments. That damn head gets me every time. When I first started out tying I was definitely an eye crowder. Time to shoot for the happy medium!

Thank you all for the comments and advice. This was exactly the feedback I was hoping for!

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Gary, just noticed the ps after I posted the last reply. Will definitely check out your blog. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

The most important thing is to just have fun with it, and always remember:
Your Hook, Your Rules!
Gary
bigjim5589, Guest1 and jpbfly like this.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

For a novice, you have made a great start. Well done Sir. It's all about practice, practice, trust me I've been there.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Being an Aussie as I would say being a Novice,"Youv'e Done alright mate",I agree with Gary,get them in The Water & your Flies will catch Fish.
Also with practice you will Tie Beautiful Flies Like Flytire's.

Brian.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM

Thanks again everyone for all the words of encouragement. I really do appreciate it. I really enjoy tying flies. Nothing felt more rewarding than the first time I caught a fish on a fly I had tied myself. It was a bit ugly but did the trick. I've got just enough perfectionist in me that even if it works I want it to look pretty too! Practice is definitely the key to getting there.

So, here's round 2 on the Black Nose Dace.
mcnerney, gt05254 and bruce m like this.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Already looking better. I'd say you have a pretty good start on it. Mostly from where you are now, it's just a matter of practice.