The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: alternate fly tying materials

The flies that I'm tying today have bead chain eyes, craft fur tail, saddle hackle collar, and a deer body hair head.
Well you say... that all came from a fly shop and it's true, you can get all that stuff at a shop but that's not where I got mine.
The bead chain I collect years ago and I always salvage some when I find it.
The craft fur came from a dept. store. Bought long before you could find it in any fly shop.
The saddle hackle.... okay I bought that
The deer body hair came from a hunter and was personally dyed by me, myself.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:43 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Many different types of ribbon at the craft store that are good for flashback material.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

wool army blanket makes great olive dubbing.

Nylon rope can be a good source of fibers.

An old pair of suspenders for rubber legs

a stuffed animal for the interior "fluff"

Christmas bows can make nice strips of ribbon.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

One of the materials that has been mentioned in at least one book, as an alternative to using Sally Hansen's "Hard---As---Nails" for glue is the following product.

"Beauty Secrets Nail Hardener & Thickener" 2.5 oz bottle

This comes in round bottle and it is usually found I think, only in the
"Beauty Supply" stores. I do not think even that the Big Box Stores carry it. It can be purchased from Amazon.

What I want to point out about the product, is that is offered as a mere "alternative" to Sally Hansen's but it really is a very different product in its characteristics. It isn't the same, but it's differerences make it all the better for the fly tier.

(a) "Beauty Secrets Nail Hardener" dries Faster, and it stays thinner for the life of the product.

(b) "Hard As Nails" evaporates over time, and becomes thicker.
I use it when I want a kind of final glue, when I am getting up and walking away from the tying bench. (It can be thinned with Acetone)

But if I want something "thick" to cover sharp corners or to smooth out
a surface, the thickening Hard--As---Nails works well.

(c) "Beauty Secrets" does not thicken over time. I have never seen any product dry so fast.

I keep both Sally Hansen's and the "Beauty Secrets" Hardener on my bench.
"Beauty Secrets" works rather well.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure we all have some copper wire from old motors.
Craft stores have a variety of wire of different of diameters and colors, cheaper than the fly shops.
I've used cut strips of colored plstic bags for thin skin applications. My favorite is a 1/2" wide strip (comes on a spool) of stretchy green plastic for tying plants to stakes. I tape it to a cutting board and cut strips to size with an Xacto.
While you're in the fabric store, check out the Sulky thread display. There are colored, translucent plastic threads that are like a spool of Krystal Flash. Also very narrow metalic for flashy ribs with no weight.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

And you all wonder why there are no fly shops left (mom & pop)..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
And you all wonder why there are no fly shops left (mom & pop)..
Thanks for the thought Sandfly.

The idea however, works both ways, does it not?

One may wonder why there are "no fly shops left" and at the same time,
wonder why there are not more "fly-fishermen".

If it is considered that the cost of financing a hobby ever served as a barrier to participation, then certainly, the cost of materials for fly-tying may be regarded as a critical obstacle.

We might consider that developing more Fly Tiers, by making it affordable, would as a natural consequence, create more eventual customers for those (mom & pop) fly shops. I don't think any Fly Tier obtains materials exclusively from thrift stores, box stores, or other sources. Everyone goes to the fly shop.

I am reminded that I used to be told; "Necessity is the Mother of Invention".

Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

In "days of Yore" I had a couple of buddies that tied and we used to go in halves or thirds on materials to save bucks- worked well with boxes of 100 hooks or beads, a cape, a saddle, a GP crown, even a jungle cock cape, fur patches and bulk bags of plucked feathers...

If you can find others local to you that have the same sick habit as the rest of us, you can save some bucks and STILL get first rate materials.

And all these craft threads, flosses, yarns? You can buy a box for floss with flat cardboard 'spools' it them and just spool off enough for each of you, then pass along the rest to others. Same with craft beads...
brucerducer likes this.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
While you're in the fabric store, check out the Sulky thread display. T
Just to tag a photo to post here is what JoJer means. Sulky Holoshimmer at JoAnns for thin holographic tinsel.
Click the image to open in full size.
madjoni and brucerducer like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Mylar is one of the most treasured supplies for the Fly Tyer.

Unless I am mistaken, Mylar is what "Flashabou" is made of.

Shiny Mylar can also be found in the grocery store as follows:

As the Inner Lining of a Bag of Potato Chips.

I found some of the Shiniest Silver Mylar I have ever seen, in a box of Nabisco "Teddy Grahams" this week. It's a Graham Cracker Cookie shaped like a Teddy Bear. I like Teddy Bears and Graham Crackers are good to snack on when tying, with a coffee or tea.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Just to tag a photo to post here is what JoJer means. Sulky Holoshimmer at JoAnns for thin holographic tinsel.
Click the image to open in full size.
Silver Creek, guess what? I was making my rounds yesterday, looking for this stuff in town. Hobbly Lobby first, then the Denver Fabric Store, and they suggested the Jo Ann's way down on South Broadway at Ridge Road.

The JoAnn's was out of business though. However, there was a shop called
"Creative Needle". So, expecting to be disappointed, I went in and asked for Metallic Embroidery Thread. The lady showed me some stuff, and then the Owner asked; "Are you tying flies?"
"Yep!" I said.

"Well here," she said. Here's what all the fly tyers buy."

And wouldn't you know, she sold me all kinds of Pearlescent Threads and that Dark & Rainbow colored Metallic Embroidery Thread and to top it all of, a neat product called, "Ribbon Floss, Metallic / Opal" which means OPALESCENT of course. I came out of the store feeling like a bandit.

That was just all right. Ha ha. "All the fly tiers..." she said. That was a good one.