The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: alternate fly tying materials

Over The years there have been many Materials I have used from around The House & I've bought in The $2 Shops.
1 Starting with Dogs Hair.
2 Fur from The Neighbours Feral Cat,(they never did find it).
3 Polystyrene Beads.
4 Christmas Decorations Tinsels etc.
5 Fibres from Synthetic Carpets.
6 Hair from Wigs.
7 Any type of Synthetic Wool I could scrounge.
8 Synthetic Hair from The Soft Toys.
9 As mentioned Biscuit,Lolly Wrappers & Potato Chip Packets.
10 Surgical Gloves for Nymph Backs.
11 Fine Copper Wire from Electrical Cords & Old Transformers.
12 Various Coloured Nail Polishes
13 Beads
14 Christmas Ribbon Material in all Colours however firstly strip The Paper Backing then crumple it up to give A Crimpled Effect.
Plus many more.
Brian.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Craft and fabric stores: "Santa Clause beard"
Party stores and balloon shop have all kinds of that Iridescence mylar stuff
Check in (regularly) with anyone near you who does taxidermy (including the web).

Look into 'primitive living' and 'paleo' websites and forums. Wealth of info on how to process hides, skins, etc and a large pool to trade in.

Don't overlook things like Braintan.com: Natural Hide Tanning and Leathercraft, and leather suppliers. Rabbit skins are cheap by the bale of 20.... wiat, I just read stuff about kool-aid dying.
brucerducer and noreaster like this.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I went to the Hobby Store today, looking for something in the Yarn Department that was both Yellow/Gold and or a light Brown to Dark Brown color. This was to stuff into some EZ BODY / FLEX TUBE to create a Baby Brown Trout imitation. I made several interesting discoveries.

There is one product that many of you probably have already taken advantage of in Yarns. I think I've seen where another member mentioned this stuff on a couple of occastions.
It is called "Gilt Eyelash" and it comes in Light Gold, Silver, Blue, Green, Red, Pink and Black and Gold etc. It is made by the Yarn Bee brand. It has possibilibities of course in sort of a Wooly Bugger fasion.

Because I was looking for Yellow/Brown combinations, something on a shelf not far from the Yarns caught my attention. It is called
"Gold Curly Roving". Roving is not Yarn per se I guess. It blends up real nice for a Dubbing.

Another Yarn of Interest which caught my attention, and which also blends for a partularly nice Reddish--Brown Dubbing is a Yarn named
"Thick & Quick" in the color #408 "Wild Fire"

In addition, I got a Yellow Goldish Yarn in the color "Morning Glow" made by Yarn Bee, who also makes the "Gilt Eyelash".

Generally though, I prefer to check all yarns to see if it is synthetic like Acrylic.
That's my preferred yarn. For one thing, it is always about half the cost of other yarn products.
Acrylic is synthetic, and not affected by moisture.
bigfishcatcher likes this.

Last edited by brucerducer; 05-02-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Options for metallic threads at craft/needle shops.

Accentuate threads
Click the image to open in full size.

Sullky metallic threads

Kreinik Metallic threads

Gutterman Metallics

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I am very pleased with my experiment today.

For the past year, as I moved deeper and deeper into discovering the patterns I could tie, I have collected lots of stuff I just "wondered about".

Foam is a useful product, if you are tying a Dry bug etc; but I want to tell you about this stuff that has been laying around in my tying room for the past 9 months or so I guess.

There are these foam water toys called a "Noodle". Kids take them to the pool and can bop themselves all they want, harmlessly, or stick them under their armpits and paddle around in the shallow water with them.
They are about 2-3/4" Wide and 5' long, with a 3/4" diameter hole in the hollow center.

The big box stores usually have them, but I have seen them in big box hardwares too. The maker is "Tundra" Industrial Thermal Polymers. The come in colors of Green, Yellow, Red etc.

To get a workable piece for a bug body like a Grasshopper, etc, I cut a 6" length and cut that in half, lengthwise. Then, from the sharp angled edge, I shave off a wedge lengthwise about 3/16" to 1/4".

The great part about this stuff, is that when you anchor it at the bend or behind the eye of the hook, and start a thread wrap to make "ribbing" this stuff can be formed into virtually any shape you want. A 3-section body or a 2-section like a wasp is not problem. One tube for a couple of dollars, will give a lifetime supply.

I like the way this stuff forms a "bubble" when thread wraps are tightened.
It doesn't matter what odd shape it is cut to, because when the thread wraps are applied at either end,
this Noodle Foam begins stretching into a cone or oblong shape, rounded in the middle.

If a guy or gal wants to get into Fly Tying with the least amount of expense and complexity,
one could rely heavily on tying little more than Wooly Worms and Wooly Boogers.

One might keep in mind that the Wooly Worm is not of necessity, a representation of the terrestrial bug, the actual Wooly Worm at all. The Fly in fact, like its descendent the Wooly Bugger is an imitation of several different things at once, and nothing in particular usually. Dry variants and heavily weighted variants can be tied and fished.

Author and Fly Fishing expert Charlie Brooks indicated that the most effective patterns in his opinion, where those which looked the same, no matter which way you rotated them.

Just thought I would share.
bigfishcatcher likes this.

Last edited by brucerducer; 05-02-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Sulky thread Mysis.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey