The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default fly box

we talk a lot about flies but not about what to put them in. so heres an easy home made fly box that takes about a 1/2 - 1 hour to make

pinking shears
utility knife
pencil
1/4 inch foam sheet
straight edge
tin box or altoids box (i used a cabelas gift card box $2)
glue

Click the image to open in full size.

measure the box and cut the foam into strips to fit the box.
pinking shears will give you equal indentations to make the slit to hold the fly and will look like the more expensive boxes.

apply the glue and install the foam strips inside the box

stick your flies into the slits in the foam. close the cover and shake the box vigorously to ensure the flies stay in place.
most folks dont believe they will stay in place because its not one of those expensive c&f style box

here is another one with 1 piece of foam. repeat the measure, cut, glue, install process as above.

thanks for looking
sandfly, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 6 others like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 03-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fly box

Very nice indead, never thought of the pinking shears will have to get some now.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default fly box

Awesome idea! Will for sure be doing this within the next few days. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Great idea and well presented step by step. Nicely done!
Gary
Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Love the idea, now to force feed altoids to my wife
jaybo41 and mista_bob like this.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I did an altoids fly box the other day, but your pinking shears idea sure gives it the professional look, very nicely done, congrats!

Larry

Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM

jb fly is on a distinguished road

Great sbs. I will be doing this in the near future as there is no fly shops in my city. Thanks for the great idea
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nicely done SBS flytire! That's a nice looking end result to boot. Like the others, I hadn't thought of pinking shears. I bet the craft stores will have a run on them since you shared this post! Couple of other thoughts that you could do when making it would be to line the entire box with the craft store foam and then put slits in it from one end to the other. The end result would be a nice streamer box.

You could also get some of the adhesive magnet squares that are sold in Staples to put business cards on and place one on a portion of the box. The magnets are really nice for small flies like midge nymphs.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if these particular tin boxes have the required thickness to accommodate streamers but I would venture a guess there is a box out there that does

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Anyone with young enough kids to have to buy whipes will have the perfect boxes. They are about 1'' thick by 8'' by 4''. I plan on building a few of them using this technique.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover