The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rotary Vise Suggestions

+1 for the Renzetti Traveler
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardsportsman View Post
.......the dog house I will be sleeping in when I get it
Responding at 3 AM? Taking precautionary steps to make sure your wife doesn't find out in advance?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Rotary Vise Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Responding at 3 AM? Taking precautionary steps to make sure your wife doesn't find out in advance?
Well I got off of work at midnight, and had the urge to tie some ideas I had. She is not my wife yet, that's why I have to be careful! Its easy for her to pack and leave as soon as she realizes my new obsession. I have to keep it on the down low. I call it operation covert cover my butt so she sticks with me lol!! On the plus side I will be getting her a fly rod outfit for her birthday in May. .......i already have a 5wt.......so Im thinking she needs a 7wt.......... Right?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Two things you should consider are resale value AND future parts availability.

I know that the Renzetti will be easy to sell and you will have parts in 30 years. Some folks thought a company like Abel would keep making their tying vise but Abel Supreme owners are SOL if anything goes wrong.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah but that Abel sure is purty!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the adjustable angle on the vise support arm, you will see that Abel infringed on this feature which Renzetti's patented. I think they also infringed on the patented jaw mechanism.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM

team_fishbusters is on a distinguished road

Last year I upgraded from a Griffin Superior to a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler and I love it. I've been very happy with it as is the friend I recommended it to.

Sent from my SkyRaider Thunderbolt.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
If you look at the adjustable angle on the vise support arm, you will see that Abel infringed on this feature which Renzetti's patented. I think they also infringed on the patented jaw mechanism.
I think the Renzetti patents are on the true rotary aspect and the cam jaw mechanism.

Rotary function view:
Patent Images

Exploded cam jaw view:
Patent Images
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM

I may have been mislead by this:

"Patented adjustable jaw support arm mechanism"

Renzetti Master Vise (Deluxe Base) | mudhole.com

Silver

Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

One recommendation I would make is to try to find some local (to you) tyers that may own one or more of the brands you're focusing in on and ask if you could try the vises. Most of "us" are more than willing to let someone give their vise a go.

You can assemble a simple bag of tools/materials (hooks, a bobbin, scissors, tailing, body material, hackles and wing materials) in a ziploc sandwich bag or snap box to take with you so you have all you need to try a pattern or two.

Part of it is the functionality of a vise, but a BIG part of it is the comfort-ability. It may look nice and tie well, but you just might not be comfortable tying on it. One thing about rotaries is for them to work right, the axis of the shaft has to be a certain height above the tying surface and unless you can raise or lower the height of your tying surface (or your chair), this fixed height may cause you to hold your arms in an uncomfortable position.