The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rotary Vise Suggestions

is that renzetti painted?

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

That's what I thought at first but, after looking closer I think it's just over flash.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Rotary Vise Suggestions

It is anodized. They have a raw metal version as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:23 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Well my hand me down thompson style from grandpas tying days almost literally exploded on me last week when cranking down the hook for a #2 streamer..."ting" and you can hear metal hitting the ceiling and flying across the room. Did some behind the scenes lurking on this thread and some demo'ing of friends vises, i think im goin to get the new Renzetti Traveler 2300.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:29 PM

I haven't tied on many vises, but I am in love with this one! It took a few flies to get used to it. Im not sure how the bobbin cradle helps, thats the only issue I can see with it. (Although this would be on all vises with the cradle) When I pull my bobbin on to it, the thread always jumps to the eye or off of the eye of the hook. It is quite frustrating. Other than that this thing rules! Very smooth, very high quality materials and craftsmanship. And not to mention YOU GET A FREE STICKER!!! Lol, thats what sold me for sure
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, looking forward to seeing you post some flies here!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardsportsman View Post
I haven't tied on many vises, but I am in love with this one! It took a few flies to get used to it. Im not sure how the bobbin cradle helps, thats the only issue I can see with it. (Although this would be on all vises with the cradle) When I pull my bobbin on to it, the thread always jumps to the eye or off of the eye of the hook. It is quite frustrating. Other than that this thing rules! Very smooth, very high quality materials and craftsmanship. And not to mention YOU GET A FREE STICKER!!! Lol, thats what sold me for sure
Throw a half hitch on before using the bobbin rest and the thread won't move out of the spot the half hitch on. I also keep the bobbin rest kind of close to the hook eye and lean the vertical part of the bobbin rest over a bit so the bobbin doesn't hit it. This allows the bobbin to spin with the vise and helps prevent twisting of the thread.
Nice vise you have there Awkward. It should serve you well for many long years. At the rod builders show I spoke with the guy who rebuilds Renzetti vises at the factory. I looked but can't find online the before and after pictures that Renzetti had up somewhere. They make them new again.
mcnerney and nicknick222 like this.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the tip Jackster! Worked like a charm, I now love my bobbin cradle Here is a pic of some busy work I did tonight. Nothing too fancy though.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardsportsman View Post
When I pull my bobbin on to it, the thread always jumps to the eye or off of the eye of the hook.
make sure the bobbin holder is inline with the hook shank. you will need to make that adjustment. then pull the thread from the spool and hang it in the groove of the bobbin holder. the thread should no longer jump of the hook

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/