The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 PM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Rotary Vise Suggestions

Ok guys...... I am in the market for a new rotary vise. I currently just have the cheap $15 that came with my Gander Mtn kit. I would like opinions on what to get.

While I certainly do appreciate brand loyalties, I am looking for the best all around cost to feature benefit. I basically don't care how "pretty" the vise is, I just want a smooth rotary vise. Something with no sharp edges to catch thread. I would also prefer a pedestal base as then I could travel with it.

Thank you for any help!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rotary Vise Suggestions

2013 renzetti traveler $160

however, YOU should head to your local fly shop and sit down with their demo vises and try the for yourself. one brand does not fit all.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I'm waiting for my Anvil Atlas to arrive. Its been 12 days since I placed the order. I'm getting impatient.

I researched and checked reviews. This one was what I liked. It is a little pricey at about $150.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I've had my Renzetti Traveler for almost 20 years and am still happy with it. (I am also glad there isn't they same hype about getting the latest and greatest vise as there is about rods and reels.)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Dyna-king Barracuda Jr
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I have a Danvise and am very happy with it.

You might also be interested in some of the previous threads regarding vise recommendations:
1) Beginner fly tying
2) What vise do I need?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Many forum members have a Peak...really good vise ... reasonable price
FrankB2 and kayo like this.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Rotary Vise Suggestions

Wow! So many choices! This isn't getting any easier lol! $100-$150 is about what I was thinking, but this makes it tough. Sounds like just personal preference? Is there any particular feason for your choice?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I'm waiting for my Anvil Atlas to arrive. Its been 12 days since I placed the order. I'm getting impatient.

I researched and checked reviews. This one was what I liked. It is a little pricey at about $150.
Got it and love it.

I'll admit that I wasn't in love at first but the more I use it, the more I like it.

The rotary function is a little tight at first but eventually loosens up with use.

The jaws have two notches in them - one closer to the base for larger hooks and on closer to the top for smaller hooks. Try to keep your hooks in there for the best holding power. For realllly small hooks (18 and smaller) staying outside of the grooves is OK.

EDIT: I should note that mine did not come with the extension arm to hold the bobbin when utilizing the rotary function...I had to buy that separately.
noreaster likes this.

Last edited by brookfieldangler; 03-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Got it and love it.

I'll admit that I wasn't in love at first but the more I use it, the more I like it.

The rotary function is a little tight at first but eventually loosens up with use.

The jaws have two notches in them - one closer to the base for larger hooks and on closer to the top for smaller hooks. Try to keep your hooks in there for the best holding power. For realllly small hooks (18 and smaller) staying outside of the grooves is OK.
It's great you love it. I'm hoping so as well. I just got home and received word that it arrived. Wifey pooh is bringing it home from postal depot. Very happy.

To the OP on reasons why. I read that it was the work horse of the vises and I am looking to buy only once. Made in the States, Jaws are O1 tool steel (very tough stuff) Rotary option is nice. That's about it. I really couldn't find any real negative critiques. There was a review I found where it scored nicely in its price bracket. If you search fly tying vise reviews I'm sure you could find it or some like it.

Good Luck and choose wisely.