The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road
Default Down eye vs straight eye

As a beginner the one thing that is daunting is actually selecting the materials.

I was at a local fly shop and was just staring at the wall of hooks. I went to the fly shop with the specific purpose of buying materials to tie some compara/sparkle dun.

The material list called for Tiemco 100. As I was looking for the hook, I noticed the Tiemco 101. I didn't think anything of it and just got the 100s, but when I got home I started to think about the straight eye hook.

When would you use a "straight eye" hooks vs. a "down eye?"
Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

If you do some searching you'll find other threads discussing this is great detail, sometimes with great passion.

I don't think about it too much and use both. The one time I prefer a down-eye over a straight eye is when tying parachute patterns, since it gives me a touch more room between the hackle and the hook eye. But I'll happily tie them on straight eyes if it's what I have around. I like the look of down-eyes better personally, but don't think it matters fishing.
fredaevans and quimby like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I like the look of down-eyes better personally, but don't think it matters fishing.
My feeling as well. Beck before the days of gossamer nylon monofilament tippets and improved clinch knots, an up- or down- eye was needed to set a Turle knot properly. You would often see dries from that era tied with an up-eye and wets with a down-eye, for reasons that I don't really understand. Now that thinner nylon makes knots like the Improved Clinch possible, though, the position of the eye against the shank doesn't direct the position of the leader, so the bent eye is no longer necessary. But it's still traditional.
quimby likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
If you do some searching you'll find other threads discussing this is great detail, sometimes with great passion.

I don't think about it too much and use both. The one time I prefer a down-eye over a straight eye is when tying parachute patterns, since it gives me a touch more room between the hackle and the hook eye. But I'll happily tie them on straight eyes if it's what I have around. I like the look of down-eyes better personally, but don't think it matters fishing.
That confirms that I still suck at using the search function. I tried searching "down eye hooks" and it just gave me search results for "hooks".

Thanks. Now that I think about it, the down-eye flies do look better.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
My feeling as well. Beck before the days of gossamer nylon monofilament tippets and improved clinch knots, an up- or down- eye was needed to set a Turle knot properly. You would often see dries from that era tied with an up-eye and wets with a down-eye, for reasons that I don't really understand. Now that thinner nylon makes knots like the Improved Clinch possible, though, the position of the eye against the shank doesn't direct the position of the leader, so the bent eye is no longer necessary. But it's still traditional.
I have no idea what gossamer nylon or a Turle knot is, but I'll take your word for it.

Sometimes it is best not to mess with tradition.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:08 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

If you get to tying the tiny stuff, say #22 and smaller, you may prefer a straight eye. A bit easier to form a neat head and less obstruction to the gape.
wt bash and quimby like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post
I have no idea what gossamer nylon or a Turle knot is, but I'll take your word for it.

Sometimes it is best not to mess with tradition.
I meant modern monofilament leader material, which is made of nylon. Before they invented nylon monofilament, leaders were made of silk and were much thicker, and knots made in them were weaker.

A Turle knot passes through the hook eye and is tied around the shank.

Turle Knot | Knot Tying | Survival Knots

Thinner nylon tippets made it possible to tie the leader directly to the hook eye rather than the shank, with knots like the Improved Clinch.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post
That confirms that I still suck at using the search function. I tried searching "down eye hooks" and it just gave me search results for "hooks".
Here's one of the threads, if you want to read through it. Actually some interesting discussion, but you'll see my view hasn't changed much for better or worse.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just personal perspective here, but I'll take a pass with down eye hooks, especially the small ones. All that eye does is fill in the gape between between shaft/hook point.

The other question (for me anyway) is what does the pull of the leader do to a up eye, down eye or 'Siwash' ring eye. With the straight eye the leader pull is straight on line with the hook point. For me, this brings a lot to the Party.

For jollies take three hooks (up/down/straight) and attach a couple of foot of leader. Put hook around a round bit of something (pencil, chop stick, what-ever) and do a straight pull. Where does that hook point go under tension?

Will hook design increase/decrease the odds of a solid grab? I'm sure it does, what's the best? I have no clue. Well one. The Salar Doubles are extraordinary.

If you can find the damned things!

fae
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

It doesn't matter to me -- both work.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
It doesn't matter to me -- both work.
same here.

i'm sure thee are logical reasons to use one eye over the other. i'm not gonna loose any sleep over it.

i like to tie my thread midges on tiemco 101's & sometimes wooly buggers on the daiichi straight eye hook. everything else is on down eye hooks.

+ most fish dont know the difference

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/