The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 AM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what would you buy??

A good light with a magnifier is worth the few extra $$. Small hook sizes aren't as daunting and practice makes perfect. LOL

The creativity and variation on some patterns can be a reward, not to mention catching fish with your own handmade goods.

Good luck, enjoy and share if it strikes you!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Another good book, which includes a lot of tips for making and using some handy tools you can't find in stores (or making cheaper homemade versions of ones you can):

Better Flies Faster: 501 Fly-Tying Tips for All Skill Levels: David Klausmeyer: 9780811707442: Amazon.com: Books Better Flies Faster: 501 Fly-Tying Tips for All Skill Levels: David Klausmeyer: 9780811707442: Amazon.com: Books
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default what would you buy??

Just orderd the Charlie's cravens book. Hopefully will order a vise and tools later tonight
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
Large refrigerator magnet. Flip it upside down and slap it on your table. Good for holding hooks, metal beads, anything that rolls or slides. Sf

Oh yeah, they come free from the pizza guy. Buy a pizza.
You can also get them free from a package of Tiemco hooks or at Staples. Staples sells adhesive magnets that are sized for placing a business card over and they're perfect for lining fly boxes with or applying to your table, just as you mentioned.

I agree with scissors, don't skimp here for the set that you'll use to cut fine material. If you tie hair you might want a pair of scissors especially for those. After one pair gets worn out, use them for synthetic materials and or wire. You can always get a cheap pair of sewing scissors from a craft store to cut through synthetics.

A brush for teasing dubbing. I use one of these and really like it. Two tools in one:

PEAK Ritt Pick-N-Brush Dubbing Tool at BEARSDEN.COM

You can use velcro on a popsicle stick too but I found this to work much better on more corse material. The velcro does well for finer, softer materials.

Tons of great advice so far which isn't a shock, there are lots of great and very skilled tiers here.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

You will find that you will be using dubbing material for most of your flies. You can make a small tool to twist your loop of waxed thread containing your dubbing. There are dubbing twisters you can buy too.

Overton's sticky wax to make dubbing a lot easier.

The empty barrel from a ball point pen is excellent for packing deer body hair on the hook shank. You can also buy tools for this. It's also a great tool for making a quick half hitch knot or two when needed.

In stead of buying clear lacquer by the tiny bottles sold in the fly tying boutique, buy it in 1 pint cans at your local hardware store. Also buy lacqueur thinner in 1 pint container.

Buy one of those small plastic lacquer applicators with the long thin tube. It's easy and fast when it comes to apply lacquer to your fly. However, since the plastic does allow the vapours from the lacquer to escape (the tiny molecules from the vapour can escape through the plastic) you will have to dilute your lacquer every now and then with the lacquer thinner.

Filling the small plastic bottle is easy....just depress it and stick the needle into the liquid and the bottle will slowly draw up the liquid on it's own.

What's nice about the plastic bottle with the long thin tube is the fact that if you knock it over, you will not create a mess.

Buy a battery operated vacuum cleaner to clean up loose fibers.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

Another vote on a good light. I have a flexible neck reading style table lamp with a good full spectrum bulb that I find perfect for tying flies. Also a good chair you can sit comfortably at for a couple of hours.

The chair I use came from the dump salvage section. I see good ones at thrift stores all the time for 10$ or so

Last edited by cw76; 03-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

i will for sure get a light but it wont be the $150 dollar ones they sell made just for fly tying. but a magnifier i will look at getting too. so many great tips that i havent really thought of.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using a cheapie halogen desk lamp from Walmart for years and it works just fine. I do have it raised so the light is above my vise. Also, if you are tight on space, don't want the magnifying lens in your workspace and your eyes will cooperate, a pair of reading cheaters will get the job done.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:38 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Buy a piece of white poster board. Cut it in half on the long sides. Lay a half sheet shiney side down where you tie, set your vise in the middle. It will protect your desk, it helps diffuse the light, and make it easy to see materials on hand.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey