The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default what would you buy??

alright well im looking to start tying my own flies. ive tied a few in the past and was guided by a fella who has been tying for 30+ years. so i have very little but some experience. i know the basics on how to tie. but anyways im looking to buy my own gear and start tying daily. i have right around 250ish to spend as i sold one my hunting bows ( other extreme addiction ) so i was thinking the renzettie travler vise for a vise that i wont have to upgrade unless i want to. now for tools this is what im lost on and would like your opinion. what is a nice set of tools that wont break the bank? and the excess cash left over will of course be spent on materials which i will pick out according to what flies im wanting to tie. thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what would you buy??

Poke around and you'll find other threads on this that will go into good detail. Here are some of my suggestions:

- Scissors, don't skimp on these. I like Dr Slick and would get an all purpose pair. If you tie small get small ones too. I have a pair of Dr Slick's for cutting hair which I like but you can use cheap scissors for this if you want to save some money.
- Cheap scissors for cutting wire
- Bobbin, I like ones with ceramic tubes
- Bobbin threader, not necessary I suppose but cheap and useful
- Bodkin, useful for applies head cement, etc
- Hair Stacker if you plan to tie caddis and other flies with hair wings etc
- Whip finisher. There are a lot that work and you can use your hand to do it, but I like one that has a spring and rotates, think I got mine on ebay

There are other tools that can be helpful but really depends on what you plan to tie.
dfl likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Peak Vice
Orvis Economy scissors (I have anvil and Dr. Slick but I always go back to the Orvis economy)
The cheap ceramic tube bobin with the ceramic tube held in place with shrink tube.
I never use my bodkin, I have a large sewing needle stuck in a small cork that I like better.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Scissors - Dr. Slick Razor tip. I have two pair and love them. These are your premium scissors so make sure you get an inexpensive pair for cutting materials.

Bobbins - make sure they have the ceramic tube inserts. Metal ones will start to cut your thread after a while. Bobbins are one of those things that you wil pick one up every couple months and will have a collection very soon.

Bodkin - useful for a number of things just pick up an inexpensive one.

Bobbin threader - Skip it and get dental floss thread packs like this:

Floss Threader 25pk

Whip finishers - I got two one big one and one small one that comes in handy when tying really small flies.

A piece of light blue or cream color foam board as a background for tying. I find it easier to have something one color and one dimensional in the background than my tying desk and all the **** on it. Makes it easier on the eyes.
yonder likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Another thumbs up for ceramic bobbins. It's no fun trying to learn propper thread tension and having your bobbin work against you and cutting thread.
I have two bodkins I made by sticking a large pin (like nearly hat pin size) into a piece of dowel. I have a fat one and a skinny one. My first hair stackers were made from empty and cut-down 30 and 40 cal cartridge cases. I still have them but really like the storebought one I have now. My bobbin threader is made from a piece of guitar string JB Weld-ed into a piece of dowel. (Thought flytire is right-I usually suck-start the thread)
I've been tying on bottom end cheap vises- I've worn out 3 or 4 of 'em- and just recently got an Apex Anvil. I like it a lot! Look around on this site and find the vise comparison by Ohio Fly fishers. It could save you some bux.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 03-23-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

here is some basic tools/ideas I recommend

2013 renzetti traveler $160

dr slick or equivalent scissors

ceramic insert/tube bobbin holder (steel tube bobbin holders are ok to start with and nobody can tell you/us how long it takes to wear the tip using thread)

bodkin (a dowel with a sewing needle stuck into it works just fine)

forgo the bobbin holder threader entirely and learn how to draw the thread up the tube using your mouth

hackle plier - get a decent one for smaller hackles. the natural hackle plier you have on your hand (finger & thumb) will work excellently with longer hackles

hair stacker - get one but if you don't foresee stacking hairs or buck tail in the near future, then buy this one later on

whip finisher - learn to do a hand whip finish and save yourself some money to buy materials

utility scissors - get some scissors like the fiskars with the orange or black finger holes and use these scissors in place of your expensive one to cut up materials, hairs, wire etc

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-11-2013, 05:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

After you get yourself a vise and some basic tools, think about getting Charlie Craven's book titled "Basic Fly Tying". He starts out detailing how to tie the very simple patterns and progresses to more complex patterns, on each pattern he lists out the materials needed and the book is loaded with tips on tying. Also look around your area and see if there is a fly shop or fly fishing club offering fly tying lessons, getting hands-on training will accelerate your learning as the instructor can give you first hand feedback.
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books

Also take a look on YouTube, there are thousands of fly patterns detailed there. I especially like the stuff that Davey McPhail, Hans Weilenman or Tightline Production does, so search those names and you will find some great instruction.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Large refrigerator magnet. Flip it upside down and slap it on your table. Good for holding hooks, metal beads, anything that rolls or slides. Sf

Oh yeah, they come free from the pizza guy. Buy a pizza.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Dr. Slick has a kit with the basic tools. http://www.drslick.com/catalog/gift-...tyer-gift-sets

The tools are very good.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default what would you buy??

Thanks guys for the great tips I like the look of that book. Also I'm subscribed to davey mcphail on YouTube and have been watching his videos for awhile now.

And that magnet idea is great!