The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   6/0 Flymaster Thread? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/313270-6-0-flymaster-thread.html)

bruce m 03-11-2013 05:26 PM

6/0 Flymaster Thread?

For the people that use this thread, does it lay flat. I cant tell from anything I've read. I have the heavier stuff 210 denier and it says flat right on it but i want something lighter but still strong, that lays flat.
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Danville Waxed 6/0 Flymaster Thread

troutbound 03-11-2013 06:19 PM

Re: 6/0 Flymaster Thread?

I use it for all my flies, I love it, but pull to tight and it breaks

bear 007 03-11-2013 06:26 PM

According to this it is. I've been using Veevus lately, nice stuff, check this out

jaybo41 03-11-2013 08:06 PM

I use the 6/0 and really like it. When I'm tying 16/18 or smaller I go to Gordon's Griffith but will be trying Veevus.

bruce m 03-11-2013 08:56 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I'm reading this from my phone right now so I'll check the info in the links later when I get home in the morn.

flytire 03-14-2013 03:53 AM

yes it lays flat. you will have to rotate your bobbin holder counterclockwise to achieve a flat ribbon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutbound (Post 535704)
but pull to tight and it breaks

that could be said for any tying thread. pull anything hard enough and it will break but it wouldnt be a reason to NOT buy it

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce m (Post 535682)
but i want something lighter but still strong, that lays flat.

you might want to consider the new veevus threads. check out their strength charts to see if that thread will work for your particular application.

bruce m 03-14-2013 05:36 AM

Thanks for the opinions and insight. I went ahead and ordered some of this stuff and received it yesterday, it is exactly what I was looking for. I did a unscientific stress test between this 70 denier and some UNI 6/0. Seems to me it's slightly stronger than the uni. Different types of thread for their own purposes, just now I have thread for whatever situation I want to tie, I do prefer the flat thread for the most part though and this is nice stuff.

planettrout 03-14-2013 07:50 AM

The Danville 6/0 lays really flat when the bobbin is spun counter clockwise. Veevus 16/0 thread does not lay as flat as Tiemco 16/0, but it comes in more colors and is extremely strong. The flattest laying thread, right off the spool, I have used to date, is Lagartun 74 Denier:

http://www.hareline.com/2009NEWJPGS/74LA.jpg

...it is available from Hareline.

PT/TB ;)

bruce m 03-19-2013 12:11 PM

Okay after about a week or so using this thread I have come to some conclusions. One is this thread does break easier than the 6/0 uni that I am used to. That's okay though, it teaches me better thread control, of which I have grasped pretty well in the week of use. It does seem that the white thread breaks easier than the black but I'm sure it's only my imagination as they are the same exact threads. Also to help in this area, I found that my bobbins were too tight and spreading the bobbin legs out helped tremendously.
Secondly, it does lay nice and flat and when laying a foundation wrap on the hook, it almost seems translucent, I believe it to be because when it lays flat that just spreads out the individual fibers making it look thinner.
Also the main reason I wanted this thread was for building the under bodies for use with floss. As you know you need a real round smooth surface for a good looking floss bodies and this thread has elevated my game instantly in that department. It goes on so thin that you must do a lot more wrapping but that seems to be one of the reasons I get a better under body.
All in all I am very pleased with this thread, but as I stated it does take some getting used to, It doesn't replace my uni but rather compliments my thread stock. I would use the uni in different type of fly's.

silver creek 03-19-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce m (Post 538497)
Okay after about a week or so using this thread I have come to some conclusions. One is this thread does break easier than the 6/0 uni that I am used to.

One thread brand 6-0 is not another thread brand's 6-0. The reason the Danville Flymaster 6-0 is stronger than the Uni 6-0 is because it is thicker.

The Flymaster is 79 denier nylon and the Uni 6-0 is 135 denier nylon. Being thinner, of course the Danville is going to look more translucent because there is less material.

For breaking strength, you need to compare the Flymaster 6-0 to the Uni 8-0 which is 72 denier.

The Flymaster breaks at 11 oz and the Uni 8-0 is polyester and breaks at about 15 ounces of pressure. The difference is that polyester is stronger than nylon.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ngthreadsA.png