The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default its to late now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
my heart attack in 1995 put and end to my smoking. almost $9 a pack and i was smoking 2 packs a day

now i spend it on freaking chicken feathers!
Glad to here your smoke free I know many of family members that have either passed or have had close calls because of smoking. Keep spending money on those chicken feathers!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: its to late now...

I quit nearly 30 years ago... the concept of $9/pack ALONE would cause me a heart attack !! When I quit, I was paying $0.95/pack

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
just ordered fly tying tools and a vise 2 days ago..i guess its to late to run for the door now fly fishing has had me hooked for the past year and a half and i just seem to get deeper and deeper and my wallet keeps getting lighter and lighter.
Hello. My Name is Stimmy, and it's been 7 days since I've bought any fly tying materials... I must admit, I was in the fabric store last night with my daughter and as I went down the aisle with the Kreinik craft threads, I started to sweat a bit... I started to reach out and I heard a voice saying "Do you REALLY NEED another spool of ANYTHING??" I put my hands back in my pocket and kept walking....

Good luck Streamwalker, you'll be in the program soon... just remember, the First Step is ADMITTING you have a problem!
jaybo41, streamwalker and yonder like this.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 AM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

rehab or 12 steps is not an option !!!
yonder likes this.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
I must admit, I was in the fabric store last night with my daughter and as I went down the aisle with the Kreinik craft threads, I started to sweat a bit... !
i would have been shaking like a georgia **** hound trying to pass a peach pit!!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
just ordered fly tying tools and a vise 2 days ago..i guess its to late to run for the door now fly fishing has had me hooked for the past year and a half and i just seem to get deeper and deeper and my wallet keeps getting lighter and lighter. anyways figured i would dip my feet in the water in this sectio of the forum will soon be a picture W***e in the " what have u been tying today " thread. lol looking forward to getting started and hooking some fish on some home made flies!
Now you have truly arrived on the dark side
yonder likes this.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

This is worse than I originally anticipated.......so young to go over the deep end so soon........first it's fishing....then fly fishing....then the quest for wild, native trout in pristine environments......now I find out that my new friend has purchased a fly vise........what's next??? A quiver of sage and winston?, an orvis far and fine??? Weeklong trips to Montana? Or dare I say it.......BAMBOO?????? It's a slippery slope my friend......there is no return.......abandon all hope, all ye who enter here!!!
streamwalker likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
This is worse than I originally anticipated.......so young to go over the deep end so soon........first it's fishing....then fly fishing....then the quest for wild, native trout in pristine environments......now I find out that my new friend has purchased a fly vise........what's next??? A quiver of sage and winston?, an orvis far and fine??? Weeklong trips to Montana? Or dare I say it.......BAMBOO?????? It's a slippery slope my friend......there is no return.......abandon all hope, all ye who enter here!!!
Did u really just say Winston? I've casted one that good friend of mine has and well lets just say I tried to trade him my truck for it lol...and Montana? You mean the same place I'm looking for a job? I'm going down hill fast and I think I'm past te road to recovery!! But look what I acquired today (:

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

There you go........good stuff........there is something special about catching a trout on your own creation. Learning to tie the standards is great.......but don't be afraid to use your own imagination.....and break the rules!!! Good luck this weekend!!!
jaybo41 likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks yonder and trust me I've already thought of a few rule breakers I'm going to try out. I just wish my vise and tools would be here before Sunday but tey are scheduled for Monday...but thanks for the good luck! I may try to head out Wilson creek way Wensday of next week. If yer free let me know I should be at the fishing hole at 2ish
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the sickness steamwalker. Tying adds a whole new dimension to fly fishing. I've been at it for about 12 years now and can't imagine NOT tying flies. You're in it for the right reasons, enjoy it man! Looking forward to seeing your flies in the What Have You Been Tying thread.

We've got an amazing group of fly tiers on this forum, don't be afraid to ask for help.
yonder likes this.