The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I want to start tying

Learn by doing.

Youtube works great. There's a guy named Dave Camiss, a Brit who ties good flies in an easy going, learners format. I highly recommend him.

The kit I bought had a booklet for some simple flies. It worked well enough.

Don't get too worried if your flies don't look perfect. Mine still don't, yet they catch fish. In nature, the deformed, misshapen, crippled, etc. tend to get eaten first. If your flies are catching, you've done fine. Let the fish critique your flies.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Learn by doing.

Youtube works great. ....... Don't get too worried if your flies don't look perfect.
Start with this video and do the opposite

I learned something today

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Davie McPhail & David Strawhawn are also good to watch on you-Tube Tying Flies.
Brian
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Kicker

If I were you, I would pay special heed to what "mcnerney" says.

He recommends a good book for you, and one of things to look for in a book, is that it give specific Recipes for flies.

Here are some basic Flies that you can start tying that are easy for beginners too. They don't require all kinds of tools.

(a) Wooly Bugger (b) Griffiths Gnat

(c) Rio Grande Worm or a very similar... Leech Pattern

(d) Sawyer's Killer Bug (e) Glow-Bug (an egg pattern)

Rather than look for a great many tools to use I would suggest you look into a very basic skill, like learning to apply Dubbing. All it takes is your fingers.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

thank you all for the input, i do appologize for having a kinda repeated thread, i must have overlooked them. that being said, thanks for the links to those threads and book suggestion, it is a mjor help. i am really excited about this!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

charlie cravens book is an excellent book for beginners, you tube tyers show you how to tie fly patterns but most of them do not explain the how what when and why a certain technique is used but a good tying instructor will teach you all of that and more when you take fly tying lessons at your local fly shop. lessons will also shorten the learning curve.

i cannot recommend a fly tying kit as i do not have the financial resources to buy every brand out there, work with each and every kit and provide a proper evaluation. i don't think a lot of tyers can do that either. i would agree that there may be kits that are better than other kits but i have no knowledge of which ones.

do you pick a tying tools only kit?

do you pick a materials only kit?

do you pick a tools and materials kit?

(GOOGLE "fly tying kit" and you'll see what i mean)

i still believe your local fly shop is the best source for fly tying equipment and materials. most shops have a price point to meet everybody's needs.

thanks for looking

norm
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Donít do it!....bad addiction
Just kidding, you will have fun!
mcnerney likes this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM

jamescrawford is on a distinguished road

i just started not too long ago. i had $100 gift card to LL Bean. i bought their starter kit. it's made in india and it's called waspi or something like that. don't buy it. i'm a carpenter, and i appreciate quality, name brand tools. this vice just felt cheap. i'm not a fan of clamp on vices either.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

I would say get a kit with basics. Try it out and see if you get hooked. Then start to upgrade. piece at a time. Don't forget about your workspace...clean and tidy, well lit and comfortable, you may be spending more time there than you think.Check out Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials for some great patterns. Basic midges and buggers are where i started. Moved to nymphs and more complex streamers. Now I'm working on trying to perfect the dry flies. Find Patterns that work for you at your local shop, buy a few and go home and try to replicate them, maybe even dabble with different colors and see how it all goes. The feeling of hooking a beauty on your own homebrew is awesome! Best of luck and Tight Lines!!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I have nothing against kits, I'm sure there are some very good ones out there. Best advice I had when I started was to concentrate on a half dozen patterns only. Get the materials for them and build from there.
As has been said already, Davie McPhail is a fantastic fly dresser, his videos are some of the best.