The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I want to start tying

I took a class at the local fly shop and it was worth it. There is nothing like hands on instruction when you are first starting.

The youtube videos are great, but most of them assume you know the techniques they are talking about.

The class I took went over even the simplest of things like putting the hook into the vice, holding the bobbin, starting thread, etc. Those concepts would seem simple or obvious to a veteran, but I was happy that they covered it.

My biggest advice is don't get discouraged. I have been doing it only for couple months now, but I admit there were times when I would have to start flies over again. In the end those mistakes helped me realize what I was doing wrong earlier.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Again thanks everyone. What I have gathered from your input, reading several reviews, books, and looking over other threads, I feel it would be a good starting point to get a good vice (not the one in a kit), find a kit with the basic tools (no vice) then enough material to tie basic flies. Now that I have settled on my approach just need to make it happen. Any recommendations on the features of the vice ? I know this is a very broad question, like which car would you buy. I ask cause after looking at MANY vices there seems to be basic function all the way to "fully loaded", not sure what features are necessary and what is just cool
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default I want to start tying

I just started tying a took a different approach I went the the fly shop picked out a fly that I liked he set me up with proper materials and thread and have me a sample fly and I tied by looking at it. But I got a renzettie traveler vise and I love it so far. It has nice features on it and the jaws r strong. I would for sure get a vise with a rotary feature. And tools make sure you get one nice pair of scissors or fine trimming I have the razor dr slicks and like them a lot. Also another pair for bigger stuff like deer hair and such. And just watch some YouTube videos for basic tying techniques and go by a sample fly. Good luck!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I just bought a vise for about a hundred bucks. Now, I have list of materials and tools I'll need. I'm up to another three hundred bucks, so I'm having second thoughts.

Randy
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default I want to start tying

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I just bought a vise for about a hundred bucks. Now, I have list of materials and tools I'll need. I'm up to another three hundred bucks, so I'm having second thoughts.

Randy
Well u will be spending lots of money trust me! First time buying materials I spent $70 the other day I spent $100 on materials and uv light and uv glue which is awesome. But fly tying will for sure not save you money lol
Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Eventually, you're going to buy a book. It'll probably be a "Beginner's" book. It'll explain what tools you need and list materials for flys that start simple and get more complex as it introduces more techniques.
There's no reason you can't start with the book if you want. Pop into your local B&N and look at a few and pick the one you like.
It'll ease you into tools and materials as you need them.
I like Basic Fly Tying by Dick Talleur. The patterns are old school and I found the book to be easy to learn from.

P.S. My first fly was tied with vise grips, sewing thread and a hank of (Ariel's) doll hair. It caught trout.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

From my research, this seems to be the best book for beginners. It has a lot about
technique, and I love its split page format. You can stay on the fly recipe page and go to the technique page.

The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying: Ted Leeson, Jim Schollmeyer: 9781571883698: Amazon.com: Books The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying: Ted Leeson, Jim Schollmeyer: 9781571883698: Amazon.com: Books

Also, Spirit River Flies, sells individual material kits for about 20 flies.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 03-25-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add link
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Tying supplies/ Cost / Wooly Bugger

Hooks, about $6.00 / 25

Yarn (instead of Chenille) about $5.00 for a huge roll (Olive Green)
Copper Wire: (Cost unknown, because I busted the old motor out of a burnt out Hot Air Popcorn Popper)

Marabou Feathers about $5.00

Hackle about $2.50 (bought from the bargain bin at the fly shop)

COST = Less than $20.00 and the COST PER WOLLY BOOGER, less than $1.00 each
(Plus, I get to weight the fly with copper wire, which permits me to weight the fly the way I want.)

The greatest gift to Fly Fisherman is a simple little product called "Gift Shred" available in any hobby store in flashy pearlescent color, as well as Red, Green, etc.
Cost? $1.99 / bag that will last more than a year.

If you are smarter still, you can visit a "Dollar Store" and find the same product, cut in strips of about 1/16".

Then again, if you look for "Hair Extension Clips" in the Beauty Department of your local store, you can find colored materials of all kinds for tying flies.

Perhaps the greatest expense in tying flies, are the expensive feathers, arguably.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
P.S. My first fly was tied with vise grips, sewing thread and a hank of (Ariel's) doll hair. It caught trout.
thats AWESOME. i saw this video of a girl that cut a strip of her hair and part of a flip flop, tied it into a popper, caught a fish ! i think my Mcgyver skills are pretty decent (i fixed an air matress with a piece and saran wrap, a rubber band, and a piece of tape. works like a charm) i imagine that after i learn the tecniques and how materials work, ill find some random items other than feathers and fur to build a fly.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

When I started I got a kit. On sale for $39.00 . I think they are a great starter set came with a DVD and a booklet to make the flies for woolly bugger , Adams , Rock worm , Pheasant tail nymph , Ect . Great place to start. Good luck and have fun join in on swaps it helps to get better with practice .