The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Correct Me if I am wrong

Clouser Crayfish 8 Crawfish Crawdads | eBay

In the pattern pictured above, the small light colored (or white) hairs on the Underbody, accomplish the following:

(a) Create an impression of movement.

(b) Attract light, owing to their light (or White) coloration.

(c) Other
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Correct Me if I am wrong

I would say it adds or creates the illusion of movement as they may imitate the legs and at the same time provides some segmentation that is found on a crawdads tail.

Randy
Old 03-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Trout champ. I think they kind of over did the antennae there a bit. I think I would have made the claws a tad beefier as well.

I'm kind of surprised that Clouser wouldn't design them to ride point up..... like a Clouser.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

for one that is not a clouser crawfish !
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Sandfly:

I've seen a lot of patterns that use the title "Clouser".

It seems to me that if they use the "dumbell" style metal eyes, they call it a "clouser".

Personally, I don't like the style termed "clouser". Those eyes add a lot of weight, and my experience shows me that lots of weight makes for difficulty casting.

How can we distinguish between the Clouser and Non-Clouser style?

When I want a lot of weight, I don't wrap the shank. I cut a 3/8" long piece of 14 Gauge Copper Wire and wrap it about 1/8" behind the eye of the hook,
in line with the shank, but usually opposite the Gap.
It can be covered with other material.

Of course, that's for streamers etc. For nymphs etc I do wrap the shank, although I've gotten to use copper wire mostly, instead of lead.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Not this:

Click the image to open in full size.

But, this is the Clouser Crayfish I am familiar with. The one above does not look like the pattern Bob Clouser invented.

Click the image to open in full size.

Peninsula Fly Fishers - Clouser Crayfish
brucerducer likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Clouser has 2 crayfish styles on his flyshop's website
One with the furry foam and the other with a feather back

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

He has more than one:

Clouser Crayfish, small with feather Back

Clouser Crayfish with Furry Foam cover

Here, I see the 1st one more often

ETA - RT beat me to it.. just saw his post...

Last edited by dhayden; 03-20-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected. Thanks Rip Tide.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Thanks SilverCreek.

Well, there's no arguing with your facts.
I did not even know there was a Mr. Clouser who created the pattern.

Clearly, some Fly Tiers are playing "fast and loose" with the term and that really mixes up our understanding.

I am glad that you know what you're talking about, because my knowledge is superficial at best on the subject.

Thanks for showing Bob Clouser the credit he deserves. I respect that.