The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise Short List what to pick

An old neighbor offered a bass pro crown vise for $20. I might take him up on it and keep saving+looking for a vise that I really want.

How about a new price range. What would you recommend for a $200 to $250 budget?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what's MOST important when you buy a vise--that it holds the hooks well and gives you the range of hooks either standard with those jaws or with add ons for the size flies you tie. Any of the models you're considering are going well made. My experience looking at vises in the $200/250 and up range has been that you're paying for extra machining, anodizing, design, etc. If that's worth it to you, go for it. What lead me to the Peak was that I wanted an upgrade to a rotary vise without breaking the bank and without sacrificing quality. It has other jaw options and accessories available for it which I liked. Had the Renzetti Traveler been available for a price of $160, I may have gone that route. I have no regrets about the Peak though. It's highly functional and serves my purposes well.

I do agree with flytire. If it were an option, going to a shop, tying club or whatnot to look at vises first hand and speak with other tiers is a great way to get familiar with the brands and models.

You're going to need to put some money into materials and tools, so keep that in mind as well. Not sure if you have taken that into account or not within your budget. Materials can add up FAST.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Hi jaybo41,
I appreciate your help man. my problem is, I am not in a hurry. Also, I am suppressing the need for instant gratification. My goal is to get one fly tying part at a time. First I want to start off with a good vise. then a good set of tools, and finally the materials. I am pretty certain about what I want to tie first. I know that slowly bur surely I will get there.

Again, thanks for your guidance.

B.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

I have had a Dyna-King squire for about 15 years and it is still great (my travel vise since the end of 2012). I would get an entry level Dyna-King with enthusiasm....

How come you are boomslang and not a ringhals? Are you highly poisonous but back fanged?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
How come you are boomslang and not a ringhals? Are you highly poisonous but back fanged?
good one. I do not like deception. That's why I am not a rinkhals. also, my mom taught me not to spit on things. it's impolite.

b
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
2013 renzetti traveler $160

Finally... someone just HAD to mention this baby! I would't mess around and would get a true rotary like this one. A vise that allows you to rotate the hook while keeping the hook shank on center simply helps in making even, consistent wraps of ribbing, wire or anything that wraps around the hook shank. The pressure you exert is very consistant from bend to eye and you're viewing the entire fly as you wrap.
Can this be done in a non-true rotary or even a fixed jaw vise? Yup... for sure. You can even use Vise-Grips to hold a hook but there is no need these days with so many true rotary vises available. The Renzetti Traveler is a work horse that does everything well.
For $100.00 you can get the Renzetti Apprentice. It too is a rotary but not a true rotary. This type is still great for doing a lot of what any rotary vise is used for, checking out the uniformity of your fly and tying on any side of the fly.

I just glanced back and saw the question about the different Traveler finishes. Anodizing will hide soil and fingerprints but cost you. The plain model takes on a neat 'patina' with use. This you get after moderate use but looks really great if you tie a lot. Instead of a patina it starts to shine where you handle it the most. I like stuff like that but then I also like the 'lived in' look on my cork grips.
flytire and shotgunfly like this.

Last edited by Jackster; 03-22-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
An old neighbor offered a bass pro crown vise for $20. I might take him up on it and keep saving+looking for a vise that I really want.

How about a new price range. What would you recommend for a $200 to $250 budget?
Have you seen this link yet?
Great review done on all the main vises in price range up to $150. This is how I chose my Anvil Atlas. But many other great buys. Have a look

Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
More I am looking at the 2013 Renzetti Travelers, more I like it. What is the real life difference between anodized (2200 or 2300 series) vs. plain aluminum (2000 series) parts. Durability? or just looks?
well this page from renzetti gives an account of some differences

Traveler Series Vises

psst i think they are all the same parts just a different finish.

my first renzetti traveler from 1988 is still as good as the day i bought it. thats durability you are craving for. i never chipped a jaw on a hook.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 AM

jimsharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
They've changed the web site page to reflect the new company name. It's still called the Anvil Apex and the list of features still says lifetime warranty. It appears to be the same vise on the same web page with the addition of the new company name. I'll bet a nickle they still honor warranties on all the Anvil vises.

I sent Anvil's sales guy an email and a link to see if he'd like to join the discussion.
Howdy...my name is Jim...I'm with Wolff the new parent company for the Anvil Vise. The warranty will remain the same and all past warranties still in effect will be honored. The only changes are in the parent company and we've invested in machinery and employees to increase production. Please let me know if you have any other questions. My email is jim@wolffind.com.
wannafish, noreaster and boomslang like this.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Have you seen this link yet?
Great review done on all the main vises in price range up to $150. This is how I chose my Anvil Atlas. But many other great buys. Have a look

Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
The Traveler was just above their price limitations but would have probably changed the outcomes I imagine.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsharp View Post
Howdy...my name is Jim...I'm with Wolff the new parent company for the Anvil Vise. The warranty will remain the same and all past warranties still in effect will be honored. The only changes are in the parent company and we've invested in machinery and employees to increase production. Please let me know if you have any other questions. My email is jim@wolffind.com.
My favorite tying scissors are Anvil Ice scissors. They don't break the bank and have served me very well for 15 years or so. I looked up Wolff Industries and if you work for the same company who is huge on scissors and shears how about coming up with some fly tying scissors? Maybe some of that hair cutting technology can transfer over to fly tying. Microscopically tiny points would be the first request along with reasonable prices of course!