The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Vise Short List what to pick

Hi there,
Ashamed to admit that I have been fly fishing for 10 years, but never tied a fly before. Inspired by my son, I would like to start tying. My motivation is not to save money but to bring some of my ideas into it. Also, I would like to show my son that its fun to learn new things.

Price Point: ~$150

I have affinity for quality. Within a reasonable price range I would always opt for quality over value. Most of my fishing rods are Winston and reels are made by Hardy. I would like to get a vise that is well made and more precise. I do not care for lots of bells and whistles. Rotary would be nice. But, educate me if it is necessary.

I see vises at different price points. Now, help me understand if it is better to get an average company's top or middle of the line model or a leading brands lower level model.

I would like to buy a good vise that I can grow with. I am never going to tie commercially but I would like to enjoy tying. Also, I am not going to be tying complicated stuff at the beginning. but eventually I would like to learn to tie some atlantic salmon flies (hair wing) for fishing (not display). So, it would be helpful to be able to find alternative jaws for the vise that can hold different size flies. Following is my short list. I would appreciate if you can comment on these. List is in the order of my preference.

1. Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose: Like the looks. not sure about the quality and durability issues. Also, how does it compare to the HMH Spartan or Regal Medallion from the build quality and smoothness point of view

2. Anvil Atlas: very similar opinion as the Griffin. Any comment about the quality and durability would be great. Again how does it compare to the griffin or the Spartan

3. Peak Rotary vise: I hear that a lot of people use this vise. Is it too bulky and heavy around the jaw? Also, what is the build quality and what are the durability issues with this vise. How would you compare it with the Blackfoot or the Atlas.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you so much.

B
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vise Short List what to pick

I'm very pleased with the quality Anvil puts out. I don't have the Atlas so I can't comment on it but the Apex is built to last. Very heavy rugged components. The jaws will hold hooks from 2/0 to 22 which covers everything I'll ever tie. It has rotary function but not "in line" rotary (I think the Atlas has in line rotary though and can be used for wrapping materials). I only need the rotary function for checking the entire circumference of the fly anyway. Very solid base on this vise; won't tip even when spinning deer hair. Also comes with a c-clamp but I haven't used it yet. Hope this ramble is of some use to you
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Just got an Atlas and can say I like it a lot. The rotary feature is really nice, as is fit and finish.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and to fly tying. I'd recommend a read of this. These guys did a very good job reviewing vises within your budget. Mind you it slightly dated, but for the most part very much relevant.

Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!

Personally, I tie on a Peak. Very happy with the build and use. I've not found the head too bulky until I get down to say 18 and below. When I'm at that point, I use the Midge Jaws. I have tied thousands of flies on mine since 2009 and have not had one single issue.

You might also want to have a look at Regal Medallion or the Traveler series. The other to have a look at is the Renzetti Traveler. Both great companies with well respected products.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. I have considered the regal medallion, but was not overly inspired by its design or looks. I have no doubt it is a good vise, but, I just wanted something different.

Keep the suggestions coming. I will take a look at the renzetties too.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I read the vise review by fly fish Ohio. While it is a very informative document, I thought that the numaric rating did not quite match their written comments. HMH SX vise is a great example. They raved about the vise in the comments section then gave it a poor rating.

Anyway, thats just my opinion.

Thanks

B
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've been through 3 or 4 $10-$20 vises over the years. I spent a lot of time on the OFF's vise shoot-out. I'd lusted for the HMH for years. When the time came that the up grade would become reality, I went with the Anvil Apex. I've been really happy with it and the comments in the Ohio Fly fishers reveiw were dead on. I pretty much disregarded the numerical rating-down grading the vice because of the box it comes in? Really?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 PM

As I was checking the Anvil website I came across this info. Does it mean that the Apex and Atlas vises are no longer a part of Anvil. If that is the case, who knows how the warranty services are going to be handled.

NOTICE
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
As I was checking the Anvil website I came across this info. Does it mean that the Apex and Atlas vises are no longer a part of Anvil. If that is the case, who knows how the warranty services are going to be handled.

NOTICE
They've changed the web site page to reflect the new company name. It's still called the Anvil Apex and the list of features still says lifetime warranty. It appears to be the same vise on the same web page with the addition of the new company name. I'll bet a nickle they still honor warranties on all the Anvil vises.

I sent Anvil's sales guy an email and a link to see if he'd like to join the discussion.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 AM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I have the Dnya-King King fisher vice and can't say enough about the quality and workmanship not to mention performance. Fairly basic but just right for me. MSRP-145.00 Built in wine country CA by a family run business.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

1 word PEAK
jaybo41 likes this.