The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM

dewbar is on a distinguished road
Default Mottled Turkey Quill Bad Oder?

So I received some mottled turkey quills I ordered from ebay. They have a really bad chemical smell. It made me light headed. Any idea why it would smell like this?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Mottled Turkey Quill Bad Oder?

most likely moth balls to kill bacteria - will not do you any harm.

If it smells like rotten meat, time to throw them in the bin.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

If the smell is making him light headed as he said in his post, it is doing him harm.

Send them back or throw them out. Buy from a reputable local fly shop or online fly shop.

Email the eBay seller with your concerns.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Put them in a loose bag in the garage and let them air out until you can't smell the offensive odor any longer. They should be fine.
Hardyreels and wt bash like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM

dewbar is on a distinguished road

i asked him he said "Smell is moth balls. It keeps the bugs from infesting the feathers and the skins. Sorry for the smell but with all the feathers and skins I have I need to do all that I can to prevent infestation."
ive got them airing out by the window hopefully they will stop smelling. thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

30+ years of tying and never needed moth balls. Yet! But I try to inspect all animal tying materials prior to buying

eBay would not be my personal choice to buy tying materials. The photo may look fine but what they send out could be junk. Buyer beware!

You can also use cedar balls, whole cloves (yes, the spice), pest strips and even pieces fluffys dog collar

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2013, 06:16 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
You can also use cedar balls, whole cloves (yes, the spice), pest strips and even pieces fluffys dog collar
20 mule team borax works well too. (Will also take the rancid smell out of a poorly fleshed skin.)