The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bobbins and bobbin threaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce m View Post
If you are just going to use them for wire forget the expensive ceramic, save that for your threads, use the cheap steel tubes for wire or lead.
This is where I get confused. Dave McPhail said ceramic tube is important for wire, but you say it isn't.

Does he have some kind of agenda to sell more Tiemci bobbins?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Far be it from me to trump Mcphail's tying expertise but what exactly was his reasoning. Is he trying to protect the wire from breaking? Or is he trying stop the damage the wire might do to the tube. If he's trying to protect the bobbin why would it matter if your using a cheap steel tube bobbin, it would take eons to ware through it enough to effect anything. I'm certain they wouldn't be useful for thread after using them for wire but I have no intention on using them for thread.
I have a few different cheap ones for various oft used wires and a few ceramics for the threads.
An for the what it's worth category, I'm a fan of the Tiemco bobbins also.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it's just me but I can't think of too many instances where I bother using a bobbin for wire, not even when tying Sawyer's or Copper Johns. For the most part, I cut a length and use it.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have a supply of steel recorder wire I picked up at a yard sale. It's very fine but very stiff. I spooled a bit onto an old thread spool and that wire needs a threader for sure. If you try to pull this wire straight with your fingers, you'll get cut.
My threaders are both home made from old guitar strings. One has a dowel handle the other has a big red plastic bead. Handles and wire connected with JB Weld.
I also have a cheap steel tube bobbin that I "fixed" by JB-ing a glass bead into the end. Imposible to suck start. Have to use a threader.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted
coug likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce m View Post
Far be it from me to trump Mcphail's tying expertise but what exactly was his reasoning. Is he trying to protect the wire from breaking? Or is he trying stop the damage the wire might do to the tube. If he's trying to protect the bobbin why would it matter if your using a cheap steel tube bobbin, it would take eons to ware through it enough to effect anything. I'm certain they wouldn't be useful for thread after using them for wire but I have no intention on using them for thread.
I have a few different cheap ones for various oft used wires and a few ceramics for the threads.
An for the what it's worth category, I'm a fan of the Tiemco bobbins also.
I think he was trying to protect the wire from breaking.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I've never had a problem breaking wire because of the bobbin, I know I wouldn't buy a ceramic tube for that either. Not to say you shouldn't, just my opinion.

To answer stimmy7, I use it on bobbins because when I cut what I need off the spool I always cut too much, I end up wasting a third of every spool. Not a huge cost but just one of those things that bugs me. I find it very good for applying the lead on the shank for weighted nymphs.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

my typical MO is to either cut off what I know will work (based on past experience) or 2x that amount, then use the balance on fly #2... I generally make a SWAG, but it's pretty close! And when I use copper wire, not too concerned about what I waste...

I buy (or get free) old sets of Christmas lights, cut the wire between the bulb holders, loosely coil up the wire sections and put a twist tie around them to hold them together. You can strip off half the coating on an section when you start tying anything that needs wire. The remaining coating holds the balance of the wire "in the sheath" until you need another piece. One 25' set of lights gives me a minimum of a couple of years of wire.
bruce m and quimby like this.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
my typical MO is to either cut off what I know will work (based on past experience) or 2x that amount, then use the balance on fly #2... I generally make a SWAG, but it's pretty close! And when I use copper wire, not too concerned about what I waste...

I buy (or get free) old sets of Christmas lights, cut the wire between the bulb holders, loosely coil up the wire sections and put a twist tie around them to hold them together. You can strip off half the coating on an section when you start tying anything that needs wire. The remaining coating holds the balance of the wire "in the sheath" until you need another piece. One 25' set of lights gives me a minimum of a couple of years of wire.
That is genius. I know I have old Christmas lights lying around somewhere. Thanks for that neat tip.
stimmy7 likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM

I have a set in the basement that I found to be NG this past xmas, thanks for the tip.
stimmy7 likes this.