The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1mm foam

Does anyone have a good source for 1mm foam in various colors? I've found a number of sites that carry black and white and River Road Creations carries some colors in 1mm (just ordered some) but I'm wondering what else is out there?

The foam I've seen in most shops and in places like walmart tends to be 2mm and no, I'm not going to try to slice it in half
Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1mm foam

Have a look at Hook & Hackle and search "Razor". They have Razor Foam in 1mm in white, yellow, orange, brown, red, damsel blue, olive, black and chartreuse. They are a staple in my rotation of tying material sources.

This begs the question, what are you tying that makes you want 1mm as opposed to 2mm?
brucerducer likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply! I'll check it out.

I'm tying some small ants and find the 2mm wrapped around the shank seems thick. I've read/seen some folks using 1mm and figure it's worth a try.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Always glad to help if/when I can william! My guess was going to be a wrapped bodied dry fly pattern and as it turns out, I'm not too far off. Happy tying.

Here's the link to the store:

Your source for flyfishing and flycraft resources since 1975 - Hook & Hackle
Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

I found 8 x 12 sheets of 1mm foam at hobby lobby for about $1.5 a piece. They had bright colors like red and yellow. But they had black and brown too. Of course they didn't have the 10 variations of brown that are specific to bugs, but the price was right.
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Razor Foam comes packaged in both (in the same package) .5mm and 1mm...love the stuff...I use it for under bodies on small dry patterns, burst wing cases on nymphs and for split case Baetis, PMD's and any other May Fly that is out there:

Click the image to open in full size.

It gives a "wobble effect" to the fly that Trout find particularly enticing, when used in the thorax area...

PT/TB
mcnerney, Liphookedau and jaybo41 like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 03-28-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM

I know I had bought some foam sheets at Michael's but couldn't remember if it was 1mil or 2mil. The arachnid ninja brings up a good point, craft/hobby shops might be a good place to look for it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Razor Foam comes packaged in both (in the same package) .5mm and 1mm...love the stuff...I use it for under bodies on small dry patterns, burst wing cases on nymphs and for split case Baetis, PMD's and any other May Fly that is out there:

Click the image to open in full size.

It gives a "wobble effect" to the fly that Trout find particularly enticing, when used in the thorax area...

PT/TB

PT, those are incredible looking ties! I'll take a dozen or two

Would you mind sharing the recipe?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I know I had bought some foam sheets at Michael's but couldn't remember if it was 1mil or 2mil. The arachnid ninja brings up a good point, craft/hobby shops might be a good place to look for it too.

PT, those are incredible looking ties! I'll take a dozen or two

Would you mind sharing the recipe?
Here 'ya go:

SPLIT/ WING CASE BAETIS NYMPH

HOOK: Daiichi 1130, #16-#22, TMC 2487, #16-#22, Mustad c49s, #16-#22

THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0, Sheer, Gray

TAIL: Lemon Woodduck

ABDOMEN: Premo Goose Biots, Blue Winged Olive, or Olive, or Natural

RIB: Largutan, x-fine Gold wire

THORAX: Wapsi Beaver Dubbing, Dark Tan

LEGS: Lemon Wooduck

UNDER WING CASE: Wapsi, Razor Foam, Translucent Dun, 1.0 MM

OVER WING CASE: Spirit River Holographic Mylar Motion, 1/64″, Black…three strands, each side, to edge of pulled over foam, this IS tricky…patience prevails

PT/TB
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I use the small stuff .5 or 1, usually yellow on small split back nymphs

Michaels, I think their small stuff is 2mm
Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 PM

I ordered some from HandH, thanks again!

I look forward to seeing the patterns posted - at work and the forum works but most pictures don't load. Lot's of folks online I guess plus patients watching youtube videos or something Thanks again!