The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM

schooner36 is on a distinguished road
Default Pedestal base

I have a clamp vise and was thinking of making a pedestal for it. It seems that base weight and area are the two biggest factors. I have some very dense wood (old live oak) to experiment with. What weight and area should I shoot for?

I am or claiming that it is practical, but it might be nice looking.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pedestal base

One of my bases weighs just shy of 4lbs. I'm not sure the dimensions but if you need I can measure it.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks, but since wood is different, do you think extra length or width would be helpful?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess you'd have to since an equal size piece of wood would weigh less. I like having a heavy base that is wide enough to let me put some pressure on the thread when tying. If it was unstable I'd end up letting up tension and not getting my flies tied as well. I wonder if you could make a base out of wood and hollow out channels on the bottom to fill with lead (like pinewood derby cars). It could give you a great looking, oak base that is nice and heavy.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 AM

It is live oak, about 50% heavier than white or red oak. It is used a lot for the futtocks (curved frames) in large wooden boats.
I cut a piece 1 1/2 x 6 x 12" and it weighs just over 4 pounds, that should be stable
I'll sand it a little and post a photo with a little varnish on it, it has an interesting grain. As far as I know, it is seldom finished. I really like the look when it is.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between a pedestal and C clamp vise is not just the base. The stem is shorter on the pedestal.

Measure the distance from the table top to the top of the vise that is comfortable to you and make sure that when you get a pedestal, you cut the stem down so the vise is at the same height including the pedestal.
fredaevans likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner36 View Post
It is live oak, about 50% heavier than white or red oak. It is used a lot for the futtocks (curved frames) in large wooden boats.
I cut a piece 1 1/2 x 6 x 12" and it weighs just over 4 pounds, that should be stable
I'll sand it a little and post a photo with a little varnish on it, it has an interesting grain. As far as I know, it is seldom finished. I really like the look when it is.
That's got the potential to be a gorgeous vise!!! Defintely post a picture!!

I also like the lead in the bottom idea. Takes me back to my elementary school days and racing them 4 at a time!

I have a renzetti traveler, 98% of the time it's great but I'll occasionally tilt it when i put a ton of pressure on it, I'd rather have one that's a bit wider to make that a bit more difficult.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to throw something else out there, these look very interesting.

The Granite Fly Home - THE GRANITE FLY