The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Hooks

I knew it would eventually happen and it did last night. I was barefoot and felt something poke my foot, yep, a hook. Poked right in and pulled right out in one step. I swear I'm careful but they find there way on the floor somehow. Felt something in my sock the other night and it was a zebra midge. Go ahead and laugh but I know it's happened to some of you.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hooks

I've dropped a fly in my waders only to find it poking me in the leg or foot but haven't stepped on one at home in bare feet. I usually have at least socks on and probably flip flops around my tying area. When I know that I've dropped one on the carpet, I'm pretty quick to try and find it. I have a telescopic magnet that I bought at the auto parts store that I use specifically for this purpose. It's also great for finding beads that i've dropped there too.

Glad to hear it came out OK in your case.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It has been a long time............ perhaps 1980;

I was shuffling down the hallway past the doorway to my den headed to the kitchen for the ceremonial preparation of coffee. Before I was to reach the end of the hall my right foot sent pain & discomfort signals to the brain. To be more specific the big toe of the right foot was the point of the pain signals origination. I stopped, spoke an incantation of four letter words intermixed with a few longer curses and lifted the offending appendage for a quick exam and low & behold, a well tied Atlantic Salmon fly was quite embedded in the tip of the toe about 1/8" below the toe nail.

Problem was this was tied on an old style Jappened Mustad #2 standard salmon hook with barb, ouch! I got it out as you would remove one from a fish and can still recall the deep burgundy rivulet of toe blood that followed the extraction. I was happy that it had not been taken an 1/8" higher where it would have slid neatly under the toe nail but it still hurt. Ever since that morning I have been pretty careful about hooks.

Like I said, it's been a long time but honest to God I think it was a 'Dusty Miller'
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-31-2013, 01:20 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Sorry but I've never stepped on a hook but.......

I've gotten one in the thumb that required a trip to the emergency room for removal

Oh and then there was the one in my cheek that got there by an errant cast on a windy day

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Happened to me once. Wasn't too big of a hook and I was glad it wasn't my daughter or my wife. If it had been my wife I'd be tying flies in the garage now.
jaybo41 and dakotakid like this.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had one in the foot yet (knock on wood), but have found several in my socks. I normally wear socks and Keen sandels around the house. The housekeeper swears I'm setting traps for her around the house when she discovers an errant hook in the living room. LOL!
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't stepped on a hook, but I did one essentially twice as bad. I was sewing a patch on a jacket. I had one of those self threading needles. For those of you who have not seen one, it is a needle with the top of the loop cut of and the remaining sides are barbed like two fish hooks setting barb to barb. I got doing something else and set the jacket on the back of a chair and the needle still on the thread balancing I guess badly on the top of the back. It must have fallen to the floor and I stepped on it. It went in to the ball of my right foot, eye first, till it it something solid. I tried to get it back out with pliers and it wouldn't budge. It was in there so tight that when I pulled on it with the pliers, it squeeked as it drug down the needle. I ended up going to the ER and they had to use two people and vice grips.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Yeah it's happened to me also. I use a magnet to hold the hooks before use and am as careful as I can be but yet I still lose one here and there. It's in my bedroom so I know when I find them it will be at around 3:am.
jimmorgan likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

I was in my study, where all of my fishing/fly tying gear lives, and I clipped the point off a messed up streamer I made to use it as a practice casting fly. Unfortunately when the wire cutters finally clipped through the hook, the point flew off in to the unknown. I still haven't found it. I think it flew behind a shelf, which would be fine. I have looked all over and vacuumed a few times but who knows. I am worried that my lady or I will step on it or worse, my cat will.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Being a younger, single guy in a single guy pad, my bedroom/tying room are one in the same. I try my best to keep the areas separated. I have only stepped on one hook though. It was a 2488H in 18. My feet are pretty callused so it didn't going in or coming out. Only incident so far.

Thanks
Randy